having to turn oxycon down

Started by puffin, June 10, 2010, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puffin

I am having to turn the oxycon down to around 2 or 3 and put the gas up to keep a flame ???

the flame seems to be getting smaller and smaller and i am having to move the bead down close to the torch to get some heat

oxycon stays on green, gas is half full as hubby has checked it . could it be the extractor which is up high or has anyone else had this problem and can give suggestions. I only got 5 beads made because it was driving me nuts  :-\ :-\
Stacey

A Little Love Goes A Long Way

www.sillymooz.blogspot.com

theflyingbedstead

When did this start happening - do you have an old or new tank of propane or a new torch? If not...perhaps your torch needs a clean?

Charlotte x

puffin

this started a couple of days ago, i have had the propane 19kg about a month and I am very sad and clean the torch and workspace after every sesson. it starts to play up about an hour into torching. My first thought was the gas is running out but hubby says no . and

the hubby has checked the gas i am about just more of half way through he thinks. as we use propane for the cooker ( no gas lines in shetland ) we are used to the gas going . I think the gas pixies are out for me not to have fun making beads, last time it was the oxycon so got a replacement  now it is something else that is stopping me .  :-\ :-\ making beads.

I just want to melt glass thats all and not take 45 mins for one little bead  :'( :'( a plain one at that..

Stacey

helbels

I find with my Cricket that I have to keep adjusting the propane up for about 20 mins after I start torching as the flame gets gradually smaller - but that's with my Oxy running at 4/5 ... I presume its just that the oxy takes time to stabilise as after that amount of time the torch seems to settle and the flame becomes stable after that.

sarah t

tried the regulator ?

checked connections of pipes ?

kicked the cat ?

puffin

ok I will give that a try tom

I will set the oxy at 4 /5 and leave it at that and just touch the gas and see how that goes.

I do hope I am not the only one that cleans my torch and work space after every session , I even move the glass I have used .. :P :P
Stacey

puffin

Dogs the cats are not allowed in , they would be BBQ otherwise , so I have 3 dogs fit in my small pit.

will ask hubby about the regulator ??? wheres that on the gas bottle ??? Pipes checked.
Stacey

theflyingbedstead

Quote from: puffin on June 10, 2010, 08:01:11 PM
ok I will give that a try tom

I will set the oxy at 4 /5 and leave it at that and just touch the gas and see how that goes.

I do hope I am not the only one that cleans my torch and work space after every session , I even move the glass I have used .. :P :P
Charlotte x

theflyingbedstead

Quote from: puffin on June 10, 2010, 08:01:11 PM

No you're not. I clean my torch before I use it. Mind you...I am not virtuous enough to clean my bench up after ;)
Charlotte x

puffin

I thought I would be mucky , like my office is with paperwork for the hubbys business ( yuk yuk yuk paperwork ) I let that pile up in the folder.

but my work space is still in order and very clean , so are my tools , very anal , I clean the torch and do what they say with the equipment, although not sure on cleaning the kiln yet. But pinkie is cared for .

I wipe down after getting rid of glass and dropped frit etc. the glass is removed for the day ready for the new colours.

I even wake up the next day get my beads out and clean them straight away. Then I do the son's packed lunch for school.  ::) ::)

Stacey

Lush!

What torch do you have Stacey?  If its a Cricket, then you just need to turn up the gas valve on the torch when it drops.  I have a Cricket for teaching (so it doesn't get used all that often) and I've been having this problem a lot and lots of people have advised me that its normal!  After a while the valve will 'bed in' and sort itself out, I think mine has now.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

puffin

I have a nortel  minor torch so does that do the same then ??
Stacey

Mand

Can you come and clean my workspace for me ?  You sound very tidy and organised.  ;)  Wish I was.

Hope you get the torch sorted quickly.

garishglobes

I don't know if this is even possible but could it be that, while the oxycon is keeping up the right flow, it is pumping out more air than oxygen? So at the higher flow without enough oxygen pushing through the pipe, it is actually blowing the flame out? Like I said, this is probably an idiot suggestion, I just can't think what else it could be....unless your torch likes mess!

Dragonfire Glass

The flame 'detaches' from the torch if there is air rather than oxygen.
I have a minor and the only time my flame dips is when it's settling down at the start and when I'm running out of fuel.
I don't touch my oxycon after i've switched on.
I would check the propane from regulator through. Maybe detach the hoses and make sure they are clear and that the jets on the torch aren't blocked. maybe something got pushed down when cleaning it. Are all the jets lit?
Failing that, give Martin a ring - he is an expert in all things torchy  ;D