Problem with my extractor fan

Started by Frenchie, June 06, 2010, 02:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenchie

Hello

I'm struggling with my extractor fan, any advice welcome before I chuck it   >:( 

It's a new fan that I had fitted by a professional lampworker about 8 months ago (whom I can't get hold off at the mo!!).  For the past couple of weeks after about 30 mins it makes an awful really loud grinding noise.  So I took it out of the tubing and had a good look in it and it looked like one of the fan blades is knocking against the metal outer.  I filed the blade down (with an emery board - as you do) refitted it and off I went......only for the noise to come back again after 20 mins.

Just wondering....the fan blades are made of plastic (obviously hard plastic as they haven't melted at all even though it gets really hot) and if they are expanding with the heat and rubbing against the metal outer.  Anybody else had this problem?  I don't know what to do with it  - really don't want to fork out for a new fan after just 8 months, but I have to get working again and perhaps this is my only option.

Any advice gratefully received!

Redhotsal

Hmmm....your fan really ought not be getting that hot. Can you move it further back from the heat source? If it's getting hot enough for the blade to be expanding then your fan is way too close to the torch. Sounds to me like you need to move one or the other.

Frenchie

hmmmm good point - thanks Sal.  It seems like the most obvious reason now you have said it! Right I'm off to reclaim my emery board and move the fan further from the heat.  Fingers crossed.

Many thanks  - Alice