microwave kiln

Started by darm, April 25, 2007, 11:28:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darm

there is a brand new mini kiln out deisgned for bead making which can g in the microwave. does anyone know if it is any good?

beadysam

Is it just for the very soft Japanese glasses..?

♥♥Tan♥♥

I read about this, I think on warm glass, they have been around a while and are absolutely tiny apparently, thats all I know

darm

how small is absoultely tiny lol, ow many beads will i get in. i am not sure on the make etc or anythng so i cnat find any info

♥♥Tan♥♥

weeelll...if the whole thing fits in a microwave then the outer casing must be small so the inner would be tiny.....dont know how tiny though, Have you tried looking this up on warm glass, lampwork etc and wet canvas? They have loads of info

Lee - Kilncare

Sorry pal, I too have seen this but can't offer anything advise wise other than you will see on Warmglass e.t.c.
I certainly haven't come across anyone that's used one.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

darm

thanx. it was ordered for me as a surprise birthday pressie but i ant to make sure it is any good first lol

beadysam

darm

sorry for so mnay questions.

what restrictions woukld only using soft glass give me? and what is soft glass

does it lok ok for a e=beginner to experiment with?

♥♥Tan♥♥

Ask as many questions as you like, no restrictions at all with soft glass ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

oops theres more,,,,soft glass is classed as moretti/effetre,lauscha,bullseye,ask 104, just be careful when you mix glasses because some of them dont like each other because they cool differently, thats when your pieces will crack.

Always fuse using the same brand of glass, Bullseye is good because it has a good range of colours and is manufactured for fusing. You can fuse any glass you like as long as you know its coe (coefficiency of expansion) But if you have a sheet of window or stained glass you can fuse itself to itself if you know what I mean.

I cant tell you if it would be good to experiment with.......I wouldnt try it myself but its a great way of having a go fairly cheaply to see if you like it!!

darm

cool thanx. obviously i will need a torch too. which torch is best to go for?

darm

also if id dint buy a kiln and bought a starter pack and then use a heat blanket etc would that work just as well? what the advantages and disadvantages of doing this instead?

Mary

I think the microwave kiln is for fusing rather than beads. I can't imagine using a microwave for the length of time annealing requires. Fibre blanket or vermiculite works perfectly adequately if you can get someone to batch anneal for you, and it would be cheaper!