Acid etching/enamels

Started by Josephine, April 22, 2007, 10:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephine

Has anyone else managed to combine acid etching and enamels. I've been making some pendants and on one I rolled it in enamel across the middle of the lentil then put my design over the top.When I acid etched the bead the top and bottom look nicely frosted but the part where the enamels are is still clear and really shiny. Any tips or can't it be done?

handmadeheaven.biz

no idea, but it sounds like a nice effect that you might be able to use to your advantage :)

Josephine

Possibly but on the pendant it just looks a bit of a mess unfortunately.

Isabelle

That's exactly what happened to me when i tried to etch enamels. I never did manage to do it!

Josephine

Thanks for that Isabelle. I won't keep trying and wrecking beads, unless someone else comes up with a solution, but I'm guessing it can't be done.

Shannon

maybe try putting it in the etch for longer?

Shirley

This is a total shot in the dark because I'm a newbie and have never used enamels, but is it possible to encase the enamel after it has been applied and then etch?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Shirley

or, what about etching the whole thing and rinsing, and then using an etching cream to just do the enamelled part again?

beadysam

littlegiggles

I havent managed to get the enamel to etch... but it creates some fab effects once you know thats whats gonna happen

Dragonfire Glass

I think the enamel has etched but because the pieces are small & have lots of reflecting sides, it doesn't look etched.
*in my humble opinion*

♥♥Tan♥♥

could you go over the enamel with a dremel with a ball grinder on it? selective etching?

♥♥Tan♥♥

On second thoughts it may chip the enamel :-[

Shirley

sandpaper, glass paper, emery board by hand?

*rowanberry*

Claire