Float glass and bullseye frit

Started by jellyfuser, April 03, 2010, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jellyfuser

Hi

I went on a float glass fusing course a couple of months ago and want to get into it, but just wondered, can you fuse float glass with bullseye frit, and stringers? I cant seem to find float frit and stringers anywhere so I presume you use bullseye?

Thanks

Jelly

Flyingcheesetoastie

In a word, No, float glass is around COE 85 and Bullseye is 90 so it will crack apart.  You can get float compatible stringer, frit and confetti from Pearsons glass.

LittleHen

Try the UK's largest suppliers of float glass www.pvsuk.net they're based in Leeds and really helpful.

jellyfuser

Thanks so much for you replies.

I was just wondering then, I thought Bullseye was more expensive than float glass, but the float frits are much more expensive than the bullseye,

bullseye frit = 450g for £8.40
Float frit = 50g for £5 so for 450g = £45!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullseye sheets = red 3mm 50 x 40 = £24.93
Float sheets = red 3mm 60 x 40 = £17.90

Why are floats frits sooooooooo much more?

I am just looking for a cheaper way to produce glass panels with frit and bits sandwiched in between. I want to make the panels reasonably big if possible, as big as my kiln will allow, so based on this is is actually mush cheaper to work with bullseye, and then you have the added benefit of being able to use dichroic too.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

jelly

Zeldazog

Well, float compatible frit might be more expensive, but are you going to use that much of it, compared to how much extra large sheets of Bullseye are going to cost you?

As for dichroic, you can get float dichroic, can't remember where I saw it, either Warm Glass or Creative Glass, but its definitely available.

If you're using clear, Tekta is a cheaper machine rolled version that's fully compatible with Bullseye though.