Reducing oxygen

Started by Nalla, March 24, 2010, 10:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nalla

Is there someone to explain me the way to reduce oxygen when working with Double Helix for example or any silver rods.
I mean, french lampworkers (i am a poor frenchie newbie  :-\) say i must not reduce oxygen by the button on the torch, but by adding a sort of faucet on the oxygen pipe, if not, the oxycon may explode.
Don't know if it makes sense to anyone, sorry my english is a bit bad.
And if you do that, do you have some photos to share ?
Thank you so so much ladies.

paintboxcrafts

Hi,
Welcome to Frit happens.
I reduce double helix by increasing the propane, i.e. by turning the propane up using the knob on the torch.

Cathy
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Nalla

Thanks Cathy,
So, you never reduce the oxygen ?

princess pink

hi nalla,

i also increase the propane instead of reducing the oxygen. What i do i turn the propane up a little and do not touch the oxygen at all. I waft the bead in the flame until it has reduced and then turn back to a neutral flame to encase.

Shahlaa x

p.s. welcome to FHF!

Nalla

Ooooh thank you too Shahlaa for your answer. I am really amazed by the quik answers you gave me ladies. And thanks for your welcome message on this forum.

garishglobes

Wouldn't reducing oxygen at the pipe have the same effect on the oxycon as reducing it at the torch? I do know that turning the oxygen right down isn't recommended because oxycons don't like the build-up of pressure, but would think if you were aware of that, turning the torch button would be ok?
When I did Double Helix, I used to turn the oxygen down slightly and the propane up - I did both because otherwise the flame shot to the kiln, I couldn't reach the end and it was very hot!! (I may have worked quite hot anyway!)

julieHB

I support what Emma says, I think it is only turning the oxygen off for some time that will damage the oxycon, and I cannot see it makes a difference to what button you use to do so.

Many artists prefer to use a cool reduction flame (i.e. turning the oxygen down instead of turning the propane off) for certain glasses. Personally I always turn the propane up and waft the bead in the top of the flame to reduce the glass.

Some torches (like the GTT Bobcat) do not like a small reduction flame as it can over heat the torch. Normally it is not a problem, because you never keep a reduction flame going for very long.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr