is upgrading from a hot head worth it?

Started by dunkster, March 16, 2010, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionaess

I worked for a year with my hothead until I had enough money to buy a Bobcat and an oxycon... Encasing is much easier with a dual fuel, but I actually think you get better results from silver reduction glass with a hothead.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Hels4444

I look back on my hothead very fondly but have never looked back after upgrading to a Nortel Minor

llewennog

I can get any Gtt torch, including Pythons or Cobras, if you need a Cricket or Bobcat (which are by far much higher quality than Minors) then please Pm me.
I can also get all the powder coated finishes done at source or if you need them done for an existing Gtt torch, again that can be arranged.
I also have a contact that custom paints Gtt torches, W's wife :D i think my Mirage will be going to her before It comes here!

sexy enough for ya?

dunkster

i think i need to try out some of the dual-fuel torches at the flame off before i decide to buy one. thanks for all your help guys.  ;D

chocolateteapot

the amount of money i have saved on propane since i got my minor burner and oxycon is really worth it for me. Ans its so quiet with a minor. I hardly ever change the gas tank compared to when i had the HH. just something to think about. x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Billie

Snips

I'm on a HH, and just got a wee cheque from work for passing some exams, so as a memory of the pain I want to treat myself, but I can't afford both - so if you guys had the choice, would you upgrade torch to dual fuel, OR get a kiln?

No fear though, I will be trying trying trying at the Flame Off before I commit to a torch, but dont really know whether to prioritise the torch or kiln first..... 

J
Jackie :-)

fionaess

If you get a dual fuel torch you will also need to buy an oxycon  :(

jobead

I was just thinking, I don't need dual fuel, I'd better pay for my camera first etc. etc

AND THEN I SAW IT, big girls torch and customised, dribble, dribble. Off to dream about what colour I will have, is it my birthday yet??

:)
Jo

theflyingbedstead

Quoteis upgrading from a hot head worth it?

yes

I rather like the look of that purple spangly GTT torch...how many knobs does a torch need?!!!
Charlotte x

★★Terri★★

Quote from: Redkite on March 16, 2010, 07:53:44 PM
I would say, if you feel the expense and extra kit associated with a dual-fuel torch is too much, or you're in a position where you just can't upgrade, then you can still improve to an excellent standard with your HH. Unless you're very determined, you will probably find yourself drawn towards some types of glass and techniques more than others, and there are certainly things you can't do at all, but you don't necessarily need to upgrade to progress and continue making gorgeous beads.

Hi Redkite - interested in your remark about there being things you can't do with a hot head.  Being a newbie and only having a hot head and not in a position to change - what will I not be able to do?  I ask before I try something that will prove to be impossible.  I am avidly looking at lots of techniques and beads etc and keen to try lots out.  But, don't want to get frustrated by not being able to achieve something unachievable - if you get my gist?

Terri

llewennog

Quote from: theflyingbedstead on March 19, 2010, 10:56:56 PM
Quoteis upgrading from a hot head worth it?

yes

I rather like the look of that purple spangly GTT torch...how many knobs does a torch need?!!!

well the standard for a gtt is 3 knobs per face so that Delta Mag has 3 faces, so its a 3 stage torch and yes they throw a massive flame out thats (its not my torch its Scott Dieppe's).
Please also Note the Gtt LYNX Handtorch on the left side of the bench, you can find unicorns easier than those babys!

Miss Muffet

Quote from: Terri on March 20, 2010, 12:19:54 AM

Hi Redkite - interested in your remark about there being things you can't do with a hot head.  Being a newbie and only having a hot head and not in a position to change - what will I not be able to do?  I ask before I try something that will prove to be impossible.  I am avidly looking at lots of techniques and beads etc and keen to try lots out.  But, don't want to get frustrated by not being able to achieve something unachievable - if you get my gist?

Terri

Ditto  ;D

fionaess

Quote from: Miss Muffet on March 22, 2010, 08:00:56 PM
Quote from: Terri on March 20, 2010, 12:19:54 AM

Terri

Ditto  ;D

In my opinion there is only one thing you can't do on a hothead and that's strike glass... for that you need more oxygen than a hot head can supply... Everything else you CAN do, albeit more slowly than a dual fuel torch,,, but you can still do it :) :)