Main Menu

JAJ pyrex

Started by garishglobes, March 05, 2010, 03:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

Is this 33COE glass? It comes in translucent white, generally, with patterns.
I have a strange idea and want to know if it is basically boro compatible...

fionaess

Ermmm... try it and see  ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

garishglobes

Looks like I might have to!  ;D ;D

fionaess

Quote from: garishglobes on March 06, 2010, 09:33:28 AM
Looks like I might have to!  ;D ;D

Well.... what happened ???   ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Pat from Canvey

I've smashed up an old white pyrex dish and used Northstar sample shorts to add interest. It sometimes works and sometimes cracks. The beads with no addition of rods are fine. I did this with the pyrex before buying some boro to see if my torch could provide enough heat. The pyrex was bought for about 10p in a boot sale so no loss if it didn't work.

Steampunkglass

There is always that compatability test where you put a thin stripe of unknown glass onto of a thin bit that you know what the coe is. When you pull it out into a hair thick stringer if it coils up where one side is shrinking more (i think thats whats happening) than the other then you know it's not the same coe. I tried it a couple of times and it seems to work rather well. I am sure there are wiser head here than mine who know more about how and why this works!  :)

Hamilton Taylor

No wiser head needed. That's what happens....

It's probably also worth adding that not all pyrex is borosilicate - apparently, the name was bought some years ago, and is now applied to tempered glass as well as boro - I don't know how this affects cookware, I just put it out there fwiw....

Sean

garishglobes

I did read that the Pyrex name had been bought, but had thought it was relatively recent....I'm looking at 60's cookware here. I think an Oxfam raid is probably in order, we're a bit short of car boot sales round here.

Hamilton Taylor

Yes, from what I've read, ity seems to be that older stuff (car boot?) should be boro.

Sean