HELP oh mighty ones

Started by ♥♥Tan♥♥, January 08, 2007, 10:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

Ok,,,,currently a beady and want to have a go at fusing. I have a nice jen ken kiln with a bead door. Is the bead door a problem? I would like to just have a go at pendants to begin with maybe with some dichro in. How does that work then? Where is the best place to buy the glass and whats this fusing layers lark I keep reading about :-\

So...what are the basics I would need to 'have a go' and where can I buy them and can I pick your brains when it all arrives and and and......Oh that will do for now

Phew!

handmadeheaven.biz

try this link. it should help you out with the basics.

and this link takes you to a thread here about kilns with bead doors (bottom of page)

if you still have questions, feel free to ask ;D

BeadyBugs

I don't know if it will help, but there's a basic fusing tutorial and schedule PDF on my site, at the bottom of the hints and tips page.? I designed it with the SC2 in mind, but it may help you.? Good luck - don't forget to let us see what you make if they work.

HP x
Helen P

BeadyBugs

Everyone always raves on about this:? Contemporary Warm Glass: A Guide to Fusing, Slumping & Kiln-Forming Techniques by Brad Walker.

I haven't got that one myself, but I think a few on here have and recommend it.?

I bought this book a while ago, and it's a lovely book.? Fab straight forward tutorials/walkthroughs and great photos. It has just shown up on Amazon again after not being available for some time - I'd definitely snaffle myself a copy if I didn't already have one:

Warm Glass: A Complete Guide to Kiln-Forming Techniques: Fusing, Slumping, Casting (Hardcover)
by Philippa Beveridge

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

HP, I have that book too! It's great :D

BeadyBugs

Yeh - it's a really nice book isn't it.  Gutted when it went out of print, I know several people who wanted it, I might have to send a few emails now I know it's back.  ;D

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

;D i've not got my dust jacket on it anymore. dust jackets do my head in! lol!!

BeadyBugs

Yeh - I know they look posh - but give me a wipe clean casebound number any day. LOL! ;D

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

tell you what we do at work - flexibinding! that ROCKS! it's half-way between cased and paperback. looks fab! ...how sad am i?!

BeadyBugs

Hahaha!  Much more practical! ;D

Gatefolds....what's that all about...never liked them!  They're a pain in the butt too! ...oh that's probably just me.  LOL!

HP x
Helen P

handmadeheaven.biz

no, it's not just you, i concur with the "Boo" at gatefolds!

Glass Shed

Two more recommendations for books on kiln forming techniques

Techniques of Kiln-Formed Glass by Keith Cummings (have to recommend really he's a prof at the uni) Mainly deals with kiln casting & pate de verre

Warm Glass: A Complete Guide to Kiln-Forming Techniques: Fusing, Slumping, Casting By Philippa Beveridge This one is much along the lines of Brad Walkers but 1/3 of the price
Paul

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

www.facebook.com/GlassShed

xtweeksx

Quote from: tanok on January 11, 2007, 07:48:02 AM
Thankyou guys.....................sneaking off to amazon clutching credit card

Bad gal!! hehe enjoy........ :)

BeadyBugs

It's a pleasure hun.  Glad to be of service.  Can't wait to see what you make.

HP x
Helen P