AOTM March 2010 - Mary Parker

Started by sparrow, February 28, 2010, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Mary Parker

I first discovered lampwork through my love of beads and beadwork. As I explored the web looking for beadwork, I realised that people were making beautiful beads in their homes, and instantly knew that I wanted to do this. I loved visiting glassblowing factories and had always thought it would be out my reach. After that I read everything I could lay my hands on, but it was still a dream.

Then I talked about lampwork during one of the beadwork classes I teach locally. I am lucky that one of the women present was interested enough to contact Martin Tuffnell and arrange a group demonstration in autumn of 2005. He brought a Hot Head torch and we all had a turn. It was a fun evening, and I went home with a very wobbly bead and a starter kit.

Looking back it's funny, because I knew I wanted to make encased florals, those were the beads I always bought. I very much admire Kim Miles' floral beads. I still buy encased florals! I keep going back to try again, I'm bound to improve if I try often enough. My style has turned out to be much looser with swirls and organics. I love working with silver glasses and raku. I love how unpredictable they are, and the wonderful colours and shading they produce.

My beads started small, but have been getting larger as time goes on, till now I mostly make big focals. My blown vessels are the exception. I prefer to make tiny ones, inspired by Tink Martin's perfect little creations.

Living north of Aberdeen I've not had the chance to take any classes, but I love buying tutorials. I've just bought Michael Barley's Baleen tutorial, I'm looking forward to experimenting with it. I love the depth in his beads.

This is my favourite necklace, I wear it a lot. It features an organic focal, with my boro beads, and tube beads made of stitched beadwork, bringing together both facets of my interest in beads. It's satisfying that I can say I made all the beads in it, except for the silver.

My website is www.Flamingobeads.co.uk The name started as a joke, flame 'n go, but it stuck!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial