Getting bulk gas settings right!

Started by marie, April 10, 2007, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marie

hi guys & gals,

i'm after some advice. i have recently bought a bulk propare kit from martin and now have it all connected etc. i am not sure if i have the settings right though.

if i peer over my specs when i have the gas running and a glass rod in the flame, the flame turns a yellow colour. i am sure when i had mapp gas, i didnt get this.

i have tried to play with the regulator to change it, but nothing seems to change.

anyone got any advice? and apologies if this has been posted elsewhere - i just cant seem to find it!

thanks
marie

Billie

Sounds like it's just the soda flare off the glass, which you won't see when you have your glasses on.  Does the flame just become yellow beyond the glass rod..?  What I mean is, no glass, no yellow flame?

glassworks

sounds like the soda flare as billie says - have you got safety glasses?..

its much more obvious with a hotter more intense flame 8)

marie

thanks for you replies so far

yeah i do waer my safety glasses and with them on there is no yellowness. but without them there is part of the flame, beyond the rod that goes yellow.

is this normal then?

Billie

Yep.  Sounds like it's just the soda flare and nothing to worry about.  You're beads aren't looking sooty when finished, are they?

marie

a couple of them have little black marks in them, but i think that's just from dirty glass rods.

i must get into the habit of wiping them before using!!! ::)

Billie

Make sure you aren't holding the bead down too low in the flame.  I found with my HH on bulk that if I ever used clear glass it took so long melting it that I'd drop it low in the flame (tired arms, hurrying it along) and when I got it out of the crock pot in the morning it was streaked with grey.

marie

ok i'll try that - thanks littlebee