How much gas?

Started by Shirley, April 07, 2007, 05:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I'm just wondering how much torch time I should get out of a 3.9kg tank of propane. I'm using a hothead. Torching today the flame got very low and a lot quieter than usual so I'm assuming it's running out. I think I've probably got about 35 hours out of it but I haven't made a definite note. Any ideas, or is there something wrong with my set up that I should check out. The tank still feels quite heavy but I suppose that amount of metal would do!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

I dunno really Shirley... but with Propane it should be fairly easy to gauge how much you have left as it's a liquid.. you can just give the tank a swill... you will hear how empty the bottle is getting..

Dragonfire Glass

did you know you can buy a gauge that sticks to the side of a gas bottle & tells you how much gas you have left!

Bumpy Beads

"Sticks to the side" as in.. errrm.. "sticks to the side"? How's that work then?  ???
Heather

My Etsy Shop

Shirley

That's a good idea, Les! I'm pretty sure I'm out though, which is a bit of a beggar as I've only made 5 beads today and I wanted to get a load done. Having said that, the local garage, which is about 3 mins away by car and on the way to somewhere I need to go tomorrow, does propane, is open tomorrow and it's only £9.99. In fact, they are 24 hour opening, so I can get gas anytime I like!  :D

BeadyBugs

Hi Shirley,

It does sound a bit like it's running out.  The flame does get quieter and smaller as it fades, usually over the space of a few hours.  Someone suggested (I can't remember who, sorry) that when your tank is definitely empty, weigh it and make a note, then when you get your new one, you can check as you are using it, how near to empty you are getting by chucking it on the bathroom scales.  I used to pick mine up and give it a shake, you can hear/feel the propane sloshing around inside, if there's any left.  But the gauge sounds like a fab idea - I'll have to get one of those. :)

Also - I was sad enough to keep a rough log on my second canister - a 6kg one, and I got 55-60 hours out of it.  Running a HH, with the knob turned down slightly so I didn't nuke the glass.  So it is possible 35 hours could be right from your 3.9kg one.  I hope you manage to get a refill - they always run out when your mojo's flowing. ;D

Have fun.

HP x
Helen P

Dragonfire Glass

the gauge works by temperature.
gas under pressure is very cold.
look at a building site next winter,the gas bottles have ice round the bottom on cold days up to the level of the gas in there!
this is a similsr principle.

Shirley

Got my refill, all working fine, but made a pile of crap! Apart from 3 very nice beads that cracked and my first ever using silver that I really like.