AOTM February 2010 - Stephanie Gough

Started by sparrow, January 31, 2010, 08:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Stephanie Gough

I started out like a lot of beadmakers – making jewellery – I lived in Cyprus (my DH was in the Navy) for a couple of years and I did a jewellery making course (and a hairdressing one!) to stop me getting bored!  And before long, I was supplying the army base wives and daughters with jewellery (and doing their hair LOL!).

We emigrated to Australia after leaving Cyprus, and I was still making and selling my own jewellery.  However, I was starting to get a little fed-up with stringing beads and in my search for new ideas and new ways of making jewellery, I kept seeing beautiful bracelets and necklaces on the internet with the most stunning beads, and thinking where the heck do they get those beads from – I searched all the usual bead suppliers but couldn't find what I was looking for.

That's when I stumbled upon the fact that these beads were handmade at home by wonderful artists, and then I found Frit Happens – and a new world opened up to me!

In May 2008 I went for a "taster" session with Sharon Griffiths of Beads Indeed in Adelaide (just to make sure I'd like it) and made my first wonky beads.  I was hooked and booked a full course in the July that included a starter pack and a hothead!  I am now using a GTT Cricket with an oxycon.

Other than my first lessons, and a follow-up day – I haven't had a lesson with any other bead makers, unfortunately, Adelaide is very much the lost city in Australia and doesn't get much in the way of visiting artists (except Kaz!).  But I hope one day to return to the UK and visit the Flame-Off and maybe have a lesson or two with others!

I love the work of Laura Sparling, the focals of Astrid Riedel and Cornelia Lentze, the silver glass work of Kate Sullivan and Anouk, and am in awe of the stringer skills of our Lorna Prime, Mindy Macgregor and Dora Schubert.  I am also very much inspired by our own S'n'T and everyone who posts in it, I love to see what your making!

I am inspired by the sea and beach, the night sky, the seasons and I love colour and often check out colour combinations in fabric, people's décor and wallpaper!

I don't think I have a signature style as yet – I am still finding my feet, and want to learn every bead style and technique!  But that is what I love about this artform – it is always giving, and there is always something new to achieve! I love using shards, and my Seaside Series beads reflect this!  I like playing with gold and other inclusions like copper shapes and enamels.

I'm not sure how my personality comes out in my beads, except that I chop and change from style to style which shows my versatility, and I love organising things, I get as much enjoyment out of organising my glass rods and frit as I do making beads!

I was so chuffed when these beads came out of the kiln, I really want silver glass to sing for me too!

I've recently been playing with enamels and copper leaf.......

I feel like my confidence has grown so much in 2009, and hope that this continues to build in 2010 along with my skills, I want to improve my stringer control and learn the secrets that silver glass holds.

You can see my work mostly in my Etsy shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/FinishingTouchJewels) and on my website www.finishingtouchjewellery.com (which I am very (very!) slow at updating!).  I am planning a new website this year, with a new domain www.maidofglass.com, to reflect the fact that I am focussing on making beads rather than jewellery making now.

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial