Storage for Glass

Started by Billie, April 05, 2007, 09:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol

Quote from: bubblefizz on April 07, 2007, 08:30:27 PM
Quote from: strawackie on April 07, 2007, 03:41:42 PM
I've just bought a VERY cheap shelving unit thingy from Ikea, & use chopped up 40mm drainage pipes stacked inside. (There were some plumbers working at my Dad's recently & they left a big piece of pipe behind - guess where it is now.... ;))

Have you got a pic carol?

Sorry I didn't post a pic Angie - been on holiday & mislaid my camera (I'm sure it's not far away...)
Anyway it's an "Ivar" shelving unit - 2 sides @ £4 each; 3 shelves @ £3 each & you'll need a cross member for the back (£2) to steady it too. The shelves just sit on metal pegs & can be moved very easily to the required height. If you go to the Ikea site & put Ivar in the search box you'll see all the options. I just pile the drainage pipes up in the shelves.(I still need loads more pipe though...) Cheap 'n' cheerful!
Carol

bubblefizz

Ok Carol, ive never been ikea LOL but i will see if i can see pics online  ;D

Shirley

I just got my friend with the saw to cut up my plastic pipe. It took less than 10 minutes! Guess what I'll be building tomorrow. I'll take a pic when it's all done. :D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

bubblefizz

what diameter is the pipe that everyone uses?
does 2" sound right?

Shirley

I got 40mm. By the way, I made a pyramid and then dismantled it because I could get it to hold firmly enough. I've now stood the pipes inside a plastic storage crate to hold them still. Works really well as the crate can then be put on its side or bottom down if necessary. :)

bubblefizz

so 2" sounds about right, i have some plastic tubes but there only about an 1" so they only hold a few rods and its full lol.

silverlemon

I'm going to ask a really silly question now........how long have you guys cut your 2" pipe?

I can't decide as I buy glass from all over and have 0.5metre lengths and 33cm lengths.
I rearranged my workshop last October to fit in 2 workspaces and include under bench storage and haven't got around to cut my lengths of tubing yet (of course).
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

Shirley

Most of my glass is about 13 inches so the tubes are cut at about 10 inches - 2m pipe cut into 8 bits. Some of my glass is longer - too long to use comfortably so I've melted it in the middle, made a stringer and then stored the two smaller lengths.

Vicki

I am the fix it up & bodge it of glass storage :) I had my hoover pipes...I got some glass today (thank you Q :)) I cut my hoover pipes in half (well I didn't need a pipe the full length of the glass)...then for the ask I made a thing out of 3 of the triangles that Q uses to send the glass in...ok its temp, but it doesn't matter does it :D

Vicki

I am the self proclaimed thrift queen of glass storage...at the weekend we decided our little man is over needing a fire guard...guess what I did with it ;)

How cheap am I ;D ;D ;D

glassworks

Vicki

Its on probation at the moment, if the glass is short it may fall through to the floor, like kerplunk....so I'm seeing if that'll happen in use :D

♥♥Tan♥♥

That is such a good idea, why dont you put a folded towel in the bottom of it, on the floor,that way if any glass drops it will have happy landings

Billie

I like it!  I was wondering if some old poster tubes would do as James won't let me buy anything for a while... but I don't have enough  :)

Shirley

The 2m pipes from B+Q cost me less than £2 each. Pretty good value.