Silvered ceramics

Started by ★★Terri★★, January 24, 2010, 06:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

★★Terri★★

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of making silvered ceramic beads

I understand the basics of the technique but have never actually tried it.  Has anyone ever had a go and can offer a few tips and hints.

Many thanks

Terri

Diane

I have done gold painted ceramic - it had to be glazed first, fired and then painted with the liquid gold and fired again  similar to china painting.. Presumably silver is a similar technique - but perhaps someone else could confirm.  The gold I used (24ct)was very expensive but a little goes a very long way.Wonder if you could use silver leaf/foil and then fire onto the ceramic ???

★★Terri★★

Hi Diane

I think you must have been using lustres - these are painted/drawn on glazes and then fired to low temperatures and are very expensive.  I am already developing some ideas to use coloured lustres on beads - but metal lustres are stupidy expensive, and not very durable.

The technique I have been reading about involves fusing silver to the fired ceramic surface.  It seems you fire on a copper compound first then coat/cover with silver and fire again.

Firstly I thought about using PMC paste - but shrinkage would be a problem as the ceramic bead will not shrink as it has already been fired.
Then I though about using a very thin sheet of fine silver - but would you get a smooth finish and how would you avoid a joint in the silver?

I can't find anything online that offers any guidance or tips.  But will still hold out some hope someone has tried this or read about it in more detail

Terri

Diane

Wonder how they do it in Greece?  Would love to know your findings - good luck :)

mizgeorge

The greek ceramics are referred to as 'dipped' so I wonder if they're just that - dipped into molten fine silver?

If not, are they plated in some way?

Veebee

Hm, I guess if copper is fused to the ceramic first they could be electroplated?

Edit: Found this:

Greek Ceramic Fine Metal beads
A clay bead is formed and fired in a kiln. A coating of copper is applied to the clay base, then the bead is fired again. Finally a third layer of metal is applied, such as gold, silver or more copper , and the beads are kiln fired for a final time. This fuses the metal to the bead and makes the coating exceptionally hard-wearing. I am told that the beads are almost impossible to break. Many of the beads that I currently stock in this section have large holes suitable for stringing on cord and leather thong. Naturally if they are placed next to an abrasive bead such as glass, some wearing will occur at the point of contact, but I have never seen the coating wear off next the skin unlike electroplated beads.

Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/