Kugler gold stringer

Started by Buzzybead, April 01, 2007, 07:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzybead

Does anyone know anything about this glass? I got some from America and have had no luck with it whatsoever - it falls off any bead I make with Moretti glass. I wondered whether the COE was too different, so I pulled even thinner stringers but I'm finding it still won't 'sit' on the bead. It does melt in and I've no compatibility problems so far, although I haven't actually annealed those beads. Has anyone got any suggestions to help me keep this GORGEOUS glass on my beads?

Mary

You'll need to anneal them to keep them together, annealing is more important when mixing coe's. Also, make sure you don't leave "undercuts", melt the stringer enough that it is half raised.

Glass Shed

I've used Kugler glass at uni, usually with Gaffer furnace glass & according to my notes the COE of it is around 93.
Paul

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??

www.facebook.com/GlassShed

Buzzybead

Thanks for that advice mary - I'll try again. The difference in COE is rather large though - I'll aim to keep the amount I use to a minimum. I know Les used it in USA ( I think) - has anyone else partaken?

Mary

I've used Kugler, it's about the same coe as Reichenbach.

*rowanberry*

I've used both Kugler and reichenbach and its okay with moretti if you keep to the 5% or less rule and I've done stringer work and dots with it. As Mary said just make sure its melted in well. Isnt it because its lead glass that makes it okay with the coe difference?
Claire

beadysam

I haven't had any problems with Kugler at all.  Just make sure your decoration is well attached and don't let your bead get too cool - otherwise, keep trying till it stays!