Tidying up my ends.....

Started by Dee Dee, January 08, 2010, 03:28:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee Dee

I made these beads, my first beads with Ekho that turned out a nice colour - yay!

However, the ends are very untidy - how do I avoid this.....?

Jolene

Hi Dee Dee,

Gorgeous colours ;D You could work as normal, then heat one side of your bead, up end the mandrel so the hot end faces directly down and let the glass droop a little and form a pucker. Let it cool then do the same for the other side.

hope this helps, Jo x

Shirley

They are very pretty.

When I encase I use the sharpest pokey tool that I've got to 'tuck in' the clear glass near the holes. The trick is to have the clear just hot enough that you can move the surface but not disturb the coloured glass beneath. I sometimes need to put a wrap of glass at either end to do this, depending on how thick the encasing is. You then melt in and do your final shaping as normal, and as Jo says, if you then need to create a pucker you can tip the bead. This way I find I trap all the encased glass and it doesn't seep out at the ends.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Les

I usually wrap a 'tyre' of glass around each hole and melt in slowly :)

Dee Dee

Thanks everyone, I will try harder today......!

sublimekate

Mega gorgeous beads Dee Dee!!

Oh I do love ekho {{swoon}}

I do an extra wrap of clear at each end too, I point the end I'm working on directly at the flame so the heat pulls the clear towards it. A pokey proddy tool to ease it down  really helps especially if I've used a leaky/bleady base colourlike white or ivory.

Kate xx

julieHB

Have no advise, just wanted to say how gorgeous your beads are  :D :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Dee Dee

Aw thanks Julie - it's the first time Ehko's played nice for me!!

& thanks Kate - you are the mistress of round silver glass beads! :D :D