Fuse than slump? Info please

Started by Evadark, March 29, 2007, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evadark

Hello. wanted some advice. I planning to make a small dish using a mold. Is it best to fuse the glass flat and then slump it into the mold?

Also, as I want to use diachronic glass has anyone tried putting it on what would be the outer surface as well as the inner surface? So that the finished dish would have diachronic inside and out? I realise you would have to lay it upside down for the outer layer then right side up for the inner one but wondered if this would work?

Ideas, suggestions please. marie

Paula

I have read that you have to fuse first and slump second,as the fuse temp is so high,if  you were to slump at the same time,it would be a molten mess at the bottom.
Hope that helps.
Unfortunatley I have no knowledge on dichroic glass.
Hope my little bit helps.
Paula

Sarah

Hi

Yes - you should fuse flat then slump. There are schedules for both in the fusing tutorials section of the board.

As to dichro I don't see why you couldn't do some on both sides but it isn't something I've tried. You will have some texture on the outside from the kiln wash on the slump mould but that will depend how smooth you are with the brush.

handmadeheaven.biz

if you did it on clear you'd only need one dichro layer and you'd see the dichro on both sides. and yes, fuse flat first, cool, then slump second