cant light hothead :(

Started by helenfc, December 09, 2009, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenfc

hello, I have finally got my bulk hothead all set up and ready....and it will light with tin foil around the edges, a suggestion by lush julie in another thread, but as soon as i slooooowly remove the foil (really gently) it gets stronger, then just poof! it goes out.  :(
:'(    heeeelp please!! should i just leave the foil on, is that safe? just dont want the flame to be too reducing.
Thanks!!!!!
x

jammie

Maybe leave the foil on a bit longer then take it off but make sure the hot head is turned up high too!

Krysia@No98

or light it with out the foil?
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

turnedlight

I couldn't light mine for ages when I first got it, I made the mistake of turning the valve so there was less pressure, just get a barbeque lighter, turn on the gas a bit higher and bring the lit lighter upwards from next to the end of the torch. Or light the lighter and hold it by thend, then turn on the gas - the good thing about the lighter is it didn't get blown out (I never liked the flinty sparkers but I think people use them too).
I'd put the foil round later.. (I never used a foil collar either, I used a damp dishcloth round the holes - but you have to be careful as it has the potential to scald! Later, my dad made a fab brass thingy that you could bring up over the holes, I reckon they should sell hotheads with it already on!
kathryn

Steampunkglass

I had same problem initially, just couldn't get it to take. Then I re-read instructions, I was being timid and not turning it up enough. Turned dial half way up, put match at the very edge of hot head and woosh lit straight away (without using a collar)  ;D

helenfc

thanks everyone :) just had a couple of hours of beadmaking with the foil kind of half around the holes...seemed to work ok!! will try those tips tomorrow. i think i will be turning mandrels in my sleep tonight though!!  ;D

turnedlight

Oh I get it now, the foil is to help you light it.. sorry for the misunderstanding. I had swapped torches before getting to try that one! When your flame is going properly, I'm pretty sure you should be able to remove the foil.
kathryn

Betty the Chook

Mine lights easily if I light a match first then turn gas on high and bring flame up from below about an inch from the nozzle thingy. If I don't have enough gas it goes out. Then I turn it back down til the flame is not so light blue and off I go. If it's too high while melting glass the blue opaques etc go muddy or even brick red. ;)
Good luck and have fun!
I'm really a Fiona, not a Betty the Chook.
It's just that I rather like hens
.... more than a bit actually

http://www.rhinoglassbeads.com

Dizzy Di

When I first went on to bulk, I had same problem.

O H  took propane tank to garden and released some gas :-X as the pressure was too high in the tank it only happened on the first tank.
Then the problem was me trying to light the torch from the top, and being told by OH every one knows propane is a heavy gas so light from underneath and you may just get a flame ???

If after releasing some gas to reduce pressure, it wont light without the tin foil phone Martin ;D ;D

Dianne ;D