Setting up - Hothead on bulk

Started by AnnaSpanna, December 04, 2009, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnaSpanna

Hi,

my lovely mum (Jayspangles) has got me a hothead setup for Crimbo, for which I am incredibly grateful (although I'm not sure that the landlord is going to be too keen in the change of use of my dining room!!!!). Anyway, up till now I have been using my mother's bench whenever I've gone home and she has a creation station. I'm not keen to fork out 90 quid for one when I am rather handy with a jigsaw and have a suitable plank of wood just waiting to be put to good use. What I am having difficulty sourcing is something that resembles the wrist rests. Does anyone have any bright and ingenious ideas as to what I could do to replicate said rests?

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome,

Spanna

Carl Martin

Small childs handlebars off a pushbike secured to said plank with plumbers 'P' clips. perfect angle and very retro looking. elbow rests from a cut down rubberised mousemat
I too think the creation station is taking the p*** for the price charged. Easily made for less than 2 pints down the local and probably last longer.

llewennog

There's lots of us here that dont use creation station's, and personally the time spent making your own system or trying new techniques would be better, personally I work from the elbows or rest my hand on the barrel of my torch (gtt's dont get hot) but i like to sit and stand whilst im working.

There are lots of options and techniques its one of the many aspects of lampworking that I love!

Kaz

Probably not a good idea to rest your hands on a hot head Spanna - unlike GTT's, they get very hot.
I'd try with the cut up keyboard wrist rest to see if that works for you - as it's a cheap option. Or the handlebars look cool!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

llewennog

ANd you can pretend to be a hells angel! lmfao

lemon kitten

Quote from: Carl Martin on December 04, 2009, 10:07:21 PM
Small childs handlebars off a pushbike secured to said plank with plumbers 'P' clips.

AND you could put those lovely glittery fringes on the ends of the handlebars too!!  I LOOOOOOOOVE it !!

Janey xx
Never stand up in a canoe!

bluefairy

Quote from: lemon kitten on December 05, 2009, 09:04:16 AM
Quote from: Carl Martin on December 04, 2009, 10:07:21 PM
Small childs handlebars off a pushbike secured to said plank with plumbers 'P' clips.

AND you could put those lovely glittery fringes on the ends of the handlebars too!!  I LOOOOOOOOVE it !!

Janey xx

Ummmm.... is a Budgie saddle compulsory, or can we stick to normal seating?  ;D
Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Forester18

I posted a design for creation station on Aug 5th this year. It cost less than £10.

Frederick

Lush!

I was gonna suggest cut up mouse mats, or bean bags (or in my case, bed socks  ;)) on top of baked bean tins as wrist rests ... but Frederick's design was far better!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Kalorlo

Ooh yes, I found Frederick's thread here. That looks really good.

AnnaSpanna

So I have now set up with my spectacularly cheap dining table from Ikea and have bolted my hothead bracket to the table upside-down and set a little way onto the table. This has given me enough space to rest my elbows on the table without being too far over the torch. Day 4 and I'm finding it quite comfortable - but do need something soft for my elbows to actually sit on so the mouse mat/gel wrist pads seem like a good idea. At the mo I am managing without the wrist rests but then that might explain why my dots are a bit erm.....well......err......dodgy!

Will keep plodding on to see if I actually need rests or whether it is purely because I am a newbie and so naturally will produce dodgy spots!

Thanks you for the advice though guys - and the piccies (frederick) as that is basically the sort of thing I had in my mind.

Spx