AOTM December 2009 - YOU!

Started by sparrow, November 30, 2009, 07:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

It's nearing the end of 2009, and it's time for that special AOTM...for the last couple of years, the mods featured, but this year, the forum has seen unprecedented growth, branched out into new media, all the while keeping its loveliness. So...the artists of December 2009 - nay, the artists of the year! - are you, ladies and gentlemen. Every single one of you. So, please, don't be shy, and post what you consider to be the utterly-specialest-supermost-bestest item of the year, created by you - and tell us what makes it so special. Special doesn't mean perfect, it means just that - special. It might be your first bead, a gift you made for a special somebody, the first time you experimented with new media or cracked a new technique, something from a course you went on...you get the picture. It would be lovely if you could share the reason for the 'special-ness' as well as the picture. All media allowed, finished jewellery, components, doesn't matter. You guys are what makes this forum special, so let's see all your special work.

And thank you for another fab FHF year from the mods!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

sparrow

What fabulous work already!

My favourite, I'm afraid, is not a bead, either. For me, 2009 came with the realisation that I would not find another job after my current contract finishes, so it's all been about making the transition to earning my keep with my hands...in summer 2008, I'd posted this photo on Flickr:

...and I called it 'Strength'. The following text went with it:

No, they are not delicate, elegant, manicured or pretty, but they can wield a spade, dig over a garden, make beads, stroke my son to sleep, hug my husband, drive a car, turn pages in a book, guide a pen, fold a paper crane, plant a tree, cook food, and type this message. Aren't they great?

Then, at the recent Julie Anne Denton course, I got a chance to cast my hand in glass, and it now holds my business cards. They are still not pretty hands, but somehow, every time I look at this glass hand, it gives me strength, knowing what my hands are capable of. - which is no more or less of what other people's hands are capable of, but, erm, I dunno, it just...keeps me going. Hope this ramble makes sense!

Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Chameleon

Gorgeous work from everyone already !! My favorite piece, rather embarrassingly all things considered, is not even glass. I love this piece it was my first proper foray into metal clay and unusually for me even now months later I still love it and wear it a lot.

sublimekate

Thanks for this thread Sabine it's really interesting to see the directions everyone is taking with their creativity, beautiful!!

I couldn't choose a bead or other piece of work because it's really the glass itself that stands out for me, 2009 is the year I fell in love with silver glass. Working with it has given me so much pleasure, I've found it challenging, inspiring, satisfying, surprising, at times frustrating but never ever boring. I'm really looking forward to new ones coming out in 2010 and also working with some that I haven't quite got the hang of, Pandora for one  :)

I'm hooked and don't expect that to change anytime soon, here are some of my faves, the simply beautiful Aurea and the oh so interesting Ekho.

Kate xx

Lush!

2009 has been an incredible year for me - and the friendships and support here on Frit Happens are at the very root of my achievements and happiness in this glassy world. 

A major highlight was winning a British Bead Award with this pendant which would never have been made without all your influences (special mention to my lovely special friend George who has personally taught me so much  :-*)

With only another 4 shifts to work now and the prospect of full time self employed beadmaking looming, I can't wait for 2010 - bring it on!  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

LesleyMac

Thats gorgeous Julie, I am loving all the beads on here. ;D

This is one of my favourite's

I like this because its my first attempt at gold jewellery and I really liked the colours in the beads, I think they go with the gold nicely (This is not my best effort as I haven't made it yet but will let you know when I do). I am sure one day I will have a Moet moment.

I have been making beads for five years now and I feel I have mastered some of the techniques but now I think I have reached the next phase which is even harder and that is to be more creative, more imaginative and to let go and find out what I am capable of.

I have had the worst year ever but after everything I really now have a sense of how lucky I am to be alive. 

Hopefully this year I will be able to move on instead of struggling just to stand still.

I love this forum and a lot of people have been very supportive of me in my troubles. I want to apologise for not really being of much use to anyone and all wrapped up in my problems.  I am back now though.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas 2009 everyone and here's hoping its a wonderful 2010.

Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Veebee

Well, I'm in awe of the work here, but I'm not going to be shy  ;D
I found the torch mid April this year, but I really found the torch when I joined this forum. So I have to say thank you to you all, and I show you some beads that YOU helped me to create  ;D

Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

turnedlight

I had a look but I don't have a single favourite either, so I thought I'd show the ones I was most happy with, when silver glass behaved for me, or stringer work that went well. I've been lampworking about 2 1/2 years now, and I still absolutely love it. I'm looking forward to getting more purples from my silver glass this year - fingers crossed! :)
kathryn

beads-on-toast

These are some of the best and last beads i made back in June - glitter sparkle and shine all round