firebox or firefly

Started by kaz1265, November 27, 2009, 08:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz1265

hi im new to glass , ideally id love a larg kiln to do larger wall hangings but pennies wont allow it . i want a toploader and these two seem to be the cheapest starter models but what is the difference betwen them . thanx x

Zeldazog

I can't remember the full details of each, but I think they're pretty much the same (assuming you mean Firebox 8?) - just different manufacturers!

Print off both the spec sheets and compare the two - internal and external dimensions, power, top temp, type of controller, etc

What I would say about both these kilns is that they have infinite switch controllers with pyrometers - no digital programmer, which means you pretty much have to babysit your kiln for several hours.  Not essential by any means (people will fuse, by fair means or foul!), but *ideally* you want a programmer with several ramp and hold sections, but you'll find they're a big part of the cost.

Have a good read through the forums, there's absolute tonnes of discussion, advice, comments and opinions about the merits and disadvantanges of lots of kilns.

HTH (and welcome to the forum).