Hot Head torch and bulk fuel butane?

Started by Ibeadza, March 25, 2007, 06:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ibeadza

Can anyone advise me about switching to a bulk fuel tank for my Hot Head torch? I can only get butane in a tank here. Will it work with a Hot Head torch? Are there any possible problems?

Buzzybead

I'm a bit rusty on this, but is butane hot enough to melt glass??

Billie

Might be best to consult Martin at Tuffnells.  You could send him an email maybe..?

Mary

I don't think butane is high enough pressure. Have you tried caravan shops, boat shops or garden centres? Camping equipment and barbecues need propane. Look for the orange/red bottles.

BeadyBugs

Can anyone remember how Krista got on on Cyprus?  I know she had problems finding gas and fittings....just going off for a scout about.

HP x
Helen P

Mary

Oh yes, the Cyprus fittings were different. THat's a point, won't butane fittings be different to propane?

Billie

The only place I could find propane locally was our garden centre, in the BBQ section  :)

Ibeadza

I asked a similar question on lampworketc

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49968

Dale M replied:
"Butane mixed with air has a flame temperature of 3900° F. (2093° C.)
Propane mixed with air has a flame temperature of 3800° F. (2148° C.)

I don't think butane as a fuel is a problem, it is a plus as being hotter than propane. Only "condition" may be the of the purity of the gas available to you.

According to my reference material Butane gas is actually a hotter fuel when mixed with air as compared to MAPP - 2680° F. (1471° C.)"

I'm in Ibiza and the bottled gas is butane and in an orange bottle. There isn't piped domestic gas either.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has tried bulk fuel butane with a Hot Head torch before I try it!

BeadyBugs

Sorry Ibeadza - we're not being much help are we. ;)

Didn't LPG come into the equation somewhere?  I've done a search, but not found very much?  Is it just me, or does the search facility on here not always find words you know for a fact are on here?  Curiouser and curiouser ;D

HP x
Helen P

Billie

I thought it was just me that had that problem.  Maybe it's CAPS sensitive  ???

I've even done a Google search and can't find anything.

Mary

LPG is liquid petroleum gas - propane. That's what my central heating is powered by.

Oops, correcting self - propane and butane are both in LPG! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquified_petroleum_gas

*Nicky*

Quote from: Helen P on March 25, 2007, 08:10:44 PM
Sorry Ibeadza - we're not being much help are we. ;)

Didn't LPG come into the equation somewhere?  I've done a search, but not found very much?  Is it just me, or does the search facility on here not always find words you know for a fact are on here?  Curiouser and curiouser ;D

HP x

When you do a search make sure your on the HOME page rather than in a section of the forum, when your in a section it just searches that section !

Billie

Ahhhhhh... That might be where I've been going wrong  ;D

BeadyBugs

Ooo cheers Nicky - I'll double check where I am before hitting search.

HP x
Helen P

*Nicky*

Hehe it took me a few goes to realise what was going on, i think its when i put in Annealing and i got 1 answer that i reaslied something was up......... anyways back to Butane !