Marble press?

Started by helbels, November 21, 2009, 07:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

helbels

Hello all

I have been happily making nice round beads using my doming block.   My question is - why would I want to buy a marble press too, considering most people just seem to use half of one?  (Which surely is pretty much the same as a doming block??)

It must be the weekend for numpty newbie questions - I haven't asked one for a few weeks, and suddenly I have lots going round in my head!!

Helen x

sublimekate

I 'think' it's because the marble press has a groove for the mandrel, which I'm guessing gives you a truer round....I think  ;D

I've always used a doming block no probs, but I have just bought 1/2 a marble press  :) so I'll let you know if it's any better.

Kate xx

Lush!

I love my marble press but I've never got on with the doming block - its definitely the mandrel groove for me  :D

It'll be interesting to hear your verdict Kate!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Shirley

Best use I found for my doming block is as a frit holder. Love the bottom part of my marble press.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Maria Louisa

Helen, the domingblock is terrific for making buttons or marbleshapes that you make at the top of your mandrel or glassrod. If you want a perfect round bead you need the mandrelgroove to make it work better. And some like a press then but lots of people only need half a press to use as a marver.
www.glassbeadsculptress.com
www.glassbeadsculptress.etsy.com
www.beadpress.nl
www.flickr.com/beadpress

helbels

Thanks guys,

I'm just interested, because my rounds are coming out really nicely with my doming block!  I'm quite attached to it!

Perhaps if I made some rounds with a marble press I'd go "Oh no, my nice rounds really weren't all that round really" - but without the comparison they look pretty nice to me  ;D

Helen x

sublimekate

Well I have to admit that my rounds aren't quite round, the 15mm hole in the doming block makes approx a 15mm x 13mm round for me which isn't round is it  ;D

helbels

Hmm I've not measured mine, but they seem to roll across the worktop quite merrily!!

Sarah

Hi Helen

I've always been happy with my doming block too and have never felt the need for a marble press. My rounds are definitely round from my doming block. If you're happy with it then I would stick with it. Different things work for different people  :)

Sarah
xxx