Bulk supply for hothead

Started by ★★Terri★★, November 11, 2009, 02:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

★★Terri★★

Hi I have a hot head torch but am getting frustrated as the gas keeps cutting out due to the pressure dropping.  It always happens just before I finish the bead and by the time I get it lit again the bead has cooled and shatters if I try reheating it, even with lots of flashing before putting back in the flame.

Can anyone advise me of what I will need to buy/acquire to use a bulk supply instead?  Would I be able to use butune gas or must I use propane?  Do I need a regulator and/or something to control the pressure?

I am new to lampworking and really want to get to grips with it - but this is just doing my head in.

I have tried keeping the Mapp cylinder warm with hot cloths and warm water, but eventually it still goes out.

Terri

jammie

Hi Terri. Moving to bulk is way the best thing. If you do a search on the forum you will find all sorts of posts for bulk set up.
You will need, an adapter for a hot head torch, a regulator flashback arrestor and hoses and porpane gas. If you have a look on  http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d28.html here you will find everything you need except the gas, but you can source everything seperately if you want. I went to Martin as I had some bits but not others and he was really helpful.
 :)

Krysia@No98

Martin is really helpful.  He has the stuff all connected too, so you just need to screw it on. (which is great peace of mind if your like me and a weed  ::) )

You need Propane, butane burns dirty and will fog your transparents and bubble you clear at best or put soot marks in it.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Redhotsal

Is it possible to put some form of sticky post on here for this, as it seems to get asked all the time?

★★Terri★★

Thank you for your answers - I will get onto Tufnells immediately (well in the morning)

Terri