Good and Bad Gas

Started by Katiequiggle, November 06, 2009, 08:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katiequiggle

Does anyone else seem to get good and bad gas.  My last 2 tins of propane have been lovely but the one before was a bit dirty.  When I say dirty, theres lots of yellow in the flame which doesn't seem to go off after a while and I tend to either burn beads more easily or they go a bit murky.  I picked up a new one a couple of days ago and its lovely, burns orange around the edges for the first couple of minutes but if I light it while I'm sorting out my rods ect then dry my mandrels by the time I put glass in its beautiful.  Just wondered if everyone else gets the odd rough one now and then too.

Redhotsal

This has never happened to me but I've heard this mentioned on here several times.

I use propane from Flo Gas and have never had a problem. I sometimes wonder if some gas suppliers are better than others?

The only time I have had a major problem is when the weather got really hot and an oily residue was forced out of the end of the torch. This was really alarming as it actually burned and left a terrible mess everywhere. I later realised that this was the plasticiser being forced out of the hoses as the warmth had seriously pressurised the gas in the hoses. When I got the hoses out of the heat and te sunlight the problem went away.

I'm wondering whether the contamination can possibly be coming from your own hoses? You might experience a change when you change gas bottles because of the difference in pressure? Do you bleed off the hoses at the end of the day, because if you don't you might be picking up the crud that is sitting in the bottom of the hoses? Apart from that I don't have any other explanation....

llewennog

its something im expirencing at the moment, never had this issue before, I kinda realised it was my gas though,, Ive been looking into getting a filter installed in my fuel/oxy lines and there are systems avaliable in Usa that do just this. Last thing I want to do I block the ports on a £500 torch :/

Funky Cow

Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Katiequiggle