Propane Gas

Started by Hules, October 03, 2009, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hules

Hi everyone,

My Mapp gas has just run out!  I've ordered the bulk propane connector kit but it's not had time to come yet.  However, I do want to do some beads this weekend so will need to get some gas to tide me over.  I saw in Halfords that they had canisters of Propane gas made by Bernzomatic - the same as Mapp, in the same size and shaped cans but blue instead of yellow.  Can I use this??  Does it have to be Mapp?  I only ask as it's £5 cheaper per bottle and I'm going over to propane next week anyway. 

May be a daft question?  ???

Thanks in advance, Julia

Lloki

Hi Julia, yes you can use it!
I did the same thing, but found mine at B&Q (much cheaper than Mapp). I went almost immediately onto bulk (saved a fortune) but I went through 5 of these canisters before going bulk. Infact I still have two of them as a back-up, back-up, back-up - just in case I get the need to bead and I've run out of bulk!!!
I'm not sure it's so good if your going to play with reactive glasses, but it'll certainly fulfil your need this weekend to melt glass - blimey, do I sound like a drug dealer?
Enjoy your weekend ;D
Cerri
Cerri

Krysia@No98

Where are you in the UK?  I have three full tins of Mapp, you can have one for £8.  I'm in Hertforshire

(I don't think I will ever use the stuff again)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Hules

Thanks Krysia for your offer, I'm in Notts so a bit far away, shame - and Cerri for your advice, it's good to know I can use it if I need it.  Anyway, update on my mini saga...I went to Halfords and they had Mapp for £10 a bottle.. BARGAIN!  I got the last two.  However, I knew the lad on the desk and he told me that he believed that they were discontinuing it at Halfords!?  So a bargain while it lasted, but didn't last long!?

Thanks again though!

Julia

Krysia@No98

Darn - well it was worh a try!!

Once you have gone bulk you won't want to go back. I thought that my Mapps would be good for between tanks, but the thought of going back to mapp seems worse then being without gas!!
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-