Beth Minnow question? Oxygen tank

Started by Zia, October 02, 2009, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zia

Has anyone got a beth minnow? I have finally decided to for an oxygen tank as I just cant afford a concentrator atm. I have bulk propane gas and the tank will be here next week. Question: What do I need to make it all work (connections?) I tried asking locally but no one seems to know the torch or how to use it with oxygen.....All help and suggestions appreciated

p.s. there is nothing precise about it in the instruction manual...

thanks
xxx
Melting glass again! "happy dance"

Billie

I have a minnow but I use it on an oxycon.  Quinton at Glassworks.be might be able to help, or else Jim (Bluemoon but he's US based) otherwise email Bethlehem torches   :-\

I would say though, that getting an oxygen tank (which lasts xx hours), a cage and the rest of the safety bits you need, plus spare tank possibly will soon add up to the same as amount as having gone the oxycon route.

Zia

thanks Billie........the difference is though that I am able to get the oxygen tank and stuff for me really cheap (it also gets delivered regularly) which means I get it soon!  whereas the an oxycon needs to bought elsewhere, the cheapest being around 250 euros second hand without garantee that it will actually work properly, and a new one around 850 .......
which I would rather spend on a kiln....grins.....

I just want to make sure I have everything before I start......I dont even know what connections to get... to make sure I dont blow the place up!

Billie

Blimey!  Well, if you do ever go the oxycon route, Glassworks or Tuffnells are very reputable.  Glassworks have one on their site for 273 euro's.  Martins are £255 (I think) and they definitely won't give you anything dodgy. 

Back to the tanked oxy... Hmmmm!  You could always ask Quinton the question (pm or email I guess) and see what he recommends.  He uses tanked oxy at the studio in Belgium.  I don't think he has a minnow hooked up, but he possibly did at some point so might be able to shed some light on your question  :)

Zia

Thanks......I will look into that....and yes I do beleive both companies you mentioned have a good rep!
I havent totally made up my mind yet, still darn scared of the oxygen to be honest although DH says it will be ok...He says we are insured for almost anything.....wonders about the almost part....
I am just worried about the oxycon surviving the trip to Austria .....apparantly they dont travel well.....

Lloki

Zia - are you really sure you want to go tanked Oxygen?
Just think very carefully, from all I've read an oxycon is cheaper and safer in the long run + you never, ever run out(as long as the electric is working!)
Both Tuffnells and Glassworks have excellent reputations. Any "delicate" object will travel well if packaged well, after all I've ordered stuff from the US and it's made it to the UK in one piece in the hold of an aeroplane!
Good luck with what you decide!
Cerri