Filters

Started by Stacy, October 02, 2009, 08:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

I've been looking at cooker hoods and have come across some that have filters for 'recirculation'.
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to the following question due to nothing coming easily BUT:

Would these work instead of having tubing going to the outside?
Would the filter catch all the crud from the gases?

Im guessing its a no-no as if it were feasible then everyone would be doing it but thought I would ask as the website with these hoods aren't very explanitory regarding the by-products they filter out.

glassworks

fraid not - the purpose of the extraction is to get rid of the gasses, not any particulates... in theory the carbon filled filters may strip some of the noxious stuff out, but extraction is the only answer...
;)

Zeldazog

I used to have a recirculation filter in my kitchen due to the location of the hob, as far as I know they're just for smells and grease.

It had two filters - one which was a carbon type one, which absorbed cooking smells, etc and another grease filter which, well trapped airborne grease (ew!)

That's as much as I can tell ya!

Stacy

Thankyou Q and Dawn,

That's pretty much what I thought.  :)

Steampunkglass

Yep, it's only cooker gunge it gets rid of, not all the carbon monoxide and any dodgy gasses from the glass  :( Great for fry up, but not so great for glass

Forester18

Recirculation is a no-no. You've got to duct to outside.

Frederick