Main Menu

boro questions

Started by saffie, September 14, 2009, 08:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuwaudby

I work boro with a pair of very dark prescription sunglasses with didy saftey specs on top. I got the sunglasses as a second pair on a spec-savers deal. Works fine but you need a good bit of background light to see where everything is.

p.s. Convincing the optician that you want a pair of reading sunglasses made as dark as possible can be challenging. You need to ask for the darkest they do and then ask for them to be darkened further!

Stu

garishglobes

Stu, you probably ought to have welders shades rather than sunglasses - I'm no expert but I think the sunglasses may not be cutting out the right rays for boro work. From experience, this is particularly important for the more saturated colours, generally the silver-rich blues and purples, which get really bright when hot.

Flyingcheesetoastie

Yup, have to cringe here at the sunglasses use... I got a pair from this guy http://auralens.net/e_gwrecommend.cfm and the technical info on here is quite good for researching what you need in terms of usage.  Mine are a few years old so I got them for occassional furnace work, high soft glass and boro glass use.

Stacy

I recently read an LE thread about boro shades only lasting 6 months or so.
Does anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Stacy on July 08, 2010, 06:11:54 PM
I think thats the cheap plastic clip on's you can get to add to Diddy's, probably because they can get so easly scratched?

beadysam

Quote from: Dendrobium on July 08, 2010, 06:56:43 PM
Quote from: Stacy on July 08, 2010, 06:11:54 PM
I think thats the cheap plastic clip on's you can get to add to Diddy's, probably because they can get so easly scratched?

Well I've had mine for a few years.  I put them back in the box after every use though, I've maybe used them for 8-10 hours only.  I'm guessing its 6 months of regular use - probably due to degeneration of coatings due to UV and IR, but it doesn't say anything on the box.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've not heard that or really looked into it, I posted the link above as there is loads of technical info on his site so there might be something there about it.  I'm the same, mine get packed back in their case after wear and i've had them over 5 years now.