Putting mandrels on a bead door

Started by *Nicky*, March 12, 2007, 09:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Nicky*

Okay dumb question coming.

Ive just installed my mandrel holder on to the outside of my SC-2B as it said to in the book. Now when i put the mandrels in the beads rest on the kiln shelf thats been placed on the floor of the kiln. Surely the beads are supposed to be "floating" and not directly lying on something.

Im confused, i know that the mandrel holder was on the inside of the kiln that i learnt on, and that they were suspended in the air.

Can anyone help, im never going to get my beads annealed at this rate !

Mary

Nicky, if your bead is cool enough it's theoretically safe to rest them on the floor (kilnwashed in case they stick!) I took the rest off the door and put in a rest I made of perforated steel.

beads-on-toast

*rowanberry*

I have something that attaches to the outside of the door that came with mine - and then they just rest on a piece of fibre blanket on the floor of the kiln. Not had one problem that way - just make sure they have stopped glowing and you'll be fine.
Claire

*Nicky*

Thanks for your replies, i havent made any straight from the torch yet, but i did batch anneal a load of beads the other day.

I was wondering thou, could i use the mandrel holder from the outside as a rest on the inside ?

Pam

Quote from: Mary on March 12, 2007, 09:21:11 PM
Nicky, if your bead is cool enough it's theoretically safe to rest them on the floor (kilnwashed in case they stick!) I took the rest off the door and put in a rest I made of perforated steel.

Mary is your perforated steel galvanised/ does it make any difference if it is?
I have been looking for something like this but can only find galvanized steel.

Mary

Mine is stainless, something like this. I was lucky and got an offcut just the right size. I probably wouldn't get galvanized, not sure what zinc would do in high temps.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-PERF-SHEET-PLATE-610-x-565-mm_W0QQitemZ290213191472QQihZ019QQcategoryZ98641QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

turnedlight

I rest mine on the floor, on the fibre square, no kiln wash neccessary :) I did used to get marks occasionally, but that was cos I was putting them on the floor too soon.
kathryn

Pam

Thanks for the link and the advise  ;)