Gas storage and gas detectors

Started by CeeGeeJewellery, September 09, 2009, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CeeGeeJewellery

I finally have an almost-insulated shed and am in a position to buy a bulk adapter for my hot head and get a proper studio set up there  ;D. The thing is, I can't decide whether or not to buy the one with the quick release connector and store the gas outside the shed, or just to store the gas under my workbench. I know some people store their gas inside - is this a problem? If I store it outside the shed (I would drill a hole through the shed wall to feed the pipe through), do I need to protect the cannister from the weather?

One last question - do many people have a gas detector in their studio? I'm assuming I'd have to buy one specifically for propane rather than a standard carbon monoxide detector?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

Mand

Hiya,

I work on a HH with a bulk fuel propane cannister and quick release hose set up.  I put my cannister outside the shed and round the corner when working and I trail my hose through the open door  as  I don't have ventilation anyway - (I have a carbon monoixde detector in the shed - not sure if this is adequate but I haven't passed out yet!).

Until recently I kept my cannister outside all the time, but the hose attached directly to the regulator perished after about 14 months of weathering. Had to get that section of teh hosing replaced recently as it was leaking very slightly - the hose stank of unburned propane!  Now I store the cannister inside the shed when I've finished working, than goodness I got the quick release hosing.  Don't know if this helps in your decision?

I'd be interested to know too what others do about the gas leak detector vs carbon monoxide detector.  I have thought of getting the former.

CeeGeeJewellery

That's interesting because I assumed that the risk of keeping the cannister inside the shed stemmed from possible leaks when it wasn't being used! I have a basic gas hob style extractor fan to set up above my workbench for ventilation but thought the danger was from a build up of gas when my shed (sorry - studio  ;) wasn't being used....

Mand

Aaah. :o I don't know ... :P  You get leaks when you leave it outside cos the hose perishes or possibly leaks when it's left inside ... what to do for the best.... ::)

Dragonfire Glass

I have a weather cover, should be for a chimera, over my propane tank to protect it. Seems to work just fine  :)

amareargentum

I have a carbon monoxide sensor and a propane detector (from Lidl on one of their specials  :)). I keep my tank inside.

Amanda

turnedlight

I keep my propane outside. Then if there is a leak it will dissipate.
kathryn

sea-thistle

I have my propane outside and have adapted a black plastic dustbin, cut out a channel and a round hole so it sits  upsdie down on top of the gas cylinder. I also have a block of cement that has got wet and set that I put on top so the dustbin doesn't blow away! It works!!, still manage to get snails up round the top of the propane bottle yuck!! :o