Bit of help with my oxycon, starting it!

Started by Hotglass28, September 02, 2009, 12:32:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hotglass28

I have already read with interest the "starting routine for 2oxycons" thread here but just to be on the safe side and to know what I'm doing is right can someone point me in the right direction.

1.  am I right in thinking that.  I can leave the oxy valve open when lighting my minor?  I read that its not wise to have the oxycon on and the valve on the torch off because its causes stress to the oxycon. 

2.  Do I really need to follow POOP if there is not a risk from flashback from either the propane or oxycon?

I probably will follow the POOP rule but just to confirm that there is no real risk if say, I forget.  My main concern at the mo is causing the oxycon stress.  The instructions I have are not that helpful.

Cheers

Denise

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Hamilton Taylor

Hi,

Best way (*courts controversy  :)*):-

1. open oxy valve on torch, start oxycon. Wait for oxy to flush air from line.
2. close oxy valve, open gas valve, light torch.
3. open oxy valve, adjust flame. Oxycon won't mind, as long as you don't go for tea between steps 2. and 3.  :D

Follow poop on lighting - there's not really any danger if you don't, but the flame can light with a bit of a pop, and it's immediately very hot, which can catch you if your hand is holding a spark lighter in front of the torch. An accidental brush with a 'luminous' flame is a lot cooler.
When switching off, I just turn off the gas, leaving the oxy flowing, then switch off the oxycon and allow the pressure to bleed through the torch.
HTH,

Sean

Sarah

Redhotsal

No controversy Sean, that's what I do aswell.  :)

Hamilton Taylor

Curses....
I do like a bit of contra vursie......

Hotglass28

ahhhhh, thankyou thats much more of a simple routine.

My oxycon makes a rumble noise when on so I didnt want to cause it more stress.

Thank you!!!!!!
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name