AOTM September 2009 - Emma Ralph

Started by sparrow, September 01, 2009, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Emma Ralph

I have been making beads since I was about 8 or 9 when I first discovered Fimo. A couple of years later, I got more into general jewellery making and my obsession with other types of beads started in earnest.

My first experiences of lampwork glass beads came in the early 90s. My older brother gave me a magazine he picked up in the States. It was a "bead special" issue of the then-titled Lapidary Journal. In there, I saw all sorts of wonderful glass beads handmade by individual artists. I thought they were mesmerising, but at that time was still really into my polymer clay work and didn't think much more about it. It wasn't until I read Cindy Jenkins book over 10 years later that I thought seriously about trying lampworking myself.

I finally decided that flicking through Cindy's book just wasn't enough and I had to have a go. Unable to find any local tutors or even much by way of supplies in the UK then, I decided to just order a Hot head starter kit from the States and have a go.  I made my first lampwork beads in 2005, working in the garden. A shed soon followed of course!

There are so many beadmakers whose work I admire, it would be impossible to name them all. I think we have some fantastic beadmakers here in the UK and Europe. When I started lampworking, it seemed that most of the makers, and indeed the customers for lampwork, were based over the Atlantic. Now lampworking has become so much more international, which is wonderful. 

My inspiration is usually pretty mundane, stemming from no more than the desire to make some pretty beads. All sorts of things can influence what I end up making though – maybe a colour palette from an image or photo cut from a magazine, a swatch of fabric, colours I have seen when out walking the dogs etc. (the meadow flowers have been fantastic this year for example )

I'm not really sure if I have a defined bead style in my lampworking. I have certain beads that I love making and my customers seem to enjoy. My Flamenco tabs and nuggets are possible one of my signature styles. I never get bored of making them and there are so many colour variations yet to try.

In the future, I want to master fuming with gold and silver. It is something I have never tried. I have all the bits and just need to get around to giving it a go!

I think the beads I am most proud of are these simple tabs. I just love the colours. I used opaque violet, dark amber brown and this odd pale brown colour I found in my glass stash. I don't know what it was - some old effetre colour, but I just fell in love with the effect!

More of my work can be seen on my website, www.ejrbeads.co.uk or on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/EJRBeads

I sell my beads exclusively though my online store and don't currently have any plans to sell at shows or through other outlets, but who knows for the future!

Added by Sabine: There will be more pics to this soon!
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial