BIG BANG Question re 0-4 bar Regulator and hosing

Started by Mand, August 20, 2009, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mand

This is a good one for gas-minded folks/experts! Sorry it's also a bit long, but I hope I've explained it clearly, I do ramble a bit somethimes.....

I work on a HH and have a 0-4 bar regulator.  I went to our Calor Shop recently to get some more hose to replace some which had perished.   The chap very kindly took off all the old damaged hosing and replaced it all with some slightly narrower 4point something mm ? hose as he was out of stock of the one I had. He replaced the piece which leads from the big propane cannister which is fitted to a "0-4 bar Regulator" up to the push-fit/release valve which connects to my other piece of hose. This other piece of connecting push fit valved- piece of hose is the original larger width I was supplied by Tuffnells = 6 point something mm? (and I've been using the two together.)  The chap was surprised when he went to test the hose that the regulator was FIXED.  It always has been and I never seem to have had any problems with it other than my HH being mega slow (but then aren't they all? - I don't really know!) The nice chappie didn't really have a clue about glass lampworking so he couldn't help me there.

So I have two queries which are bugging me really, as I'm now ever so slightly worried it might all suddenly explode into roaring flames on me:

1) Should my 0-4 bar Regulator be fixed? (I don't know what level it's fixed at, but I got it from our lovely Martin pre-set)  ;D

2) Is it safe to use the two different diameters of hoses on the same "appliance" which are only separated by a push -fit -quick -release connector?

Or shall I just ask Martin? I feel like such an idiot asking these questions but I'm getting a bit paranoid about it all, it's nagging away.  My DH doesn't really know much about gas at all and it's a far too dangerous thing to play about with.  :P

Dragonfire Glass

tuffnell glass

Hi ,
I'm here ,

There really is nothing at all to worry about , well not from were i'm sat anyway as i'm well outside the blast zone .

tuffnellglass@yahoo.co.uk
www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

tuffnell glass

Ha ,

Only joking .

Seriously don't worry . There is nothing wrong at all in using different diameters of gas /propane hose as long as its all connected correctly which i'm sure it is .I assume the hosing is still orange in colour that he fitted ? As for the regulator simply turn it back up to full pressure which looking down onto the reg means turning it clockwise until it stops . The pressure is then controlled through the torch which is a lot easier to do .

Sleep easy .

Martin

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Mand

PHEEEEEEW!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  (That wasn't the sound of me flying through the air hanging onto a gas cylinder!)

THANKS Martin, you're a star!  I most certainly will sleep easier tonight knowing it's all OK with my torchy set up out in my shed. I just wish I wasn't such a thicko about "gassy" matters  ::) :P ;)

tuffnell glass

Hi ,

Glad to help .

Now lets see where those chucks are .

www.tuffnellglass.com
www.flameoff.co.uk