Glass Carousel

Started by Steampunkglass, August 16, 2009, 07:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Steampunkglass

Not sure if this is the right place, as it's not made from glass but is glass useful!

I have various short rods, mostly from the Northstar boro sample pack. Even though they are short as a lot can go a long way I use them as a 'glass colour palate.' Until now I've had them stuck on a bent bit of cardboard, so they have a tendancy to fall over, and takes up a lot of room, so I built this little carousel. I haven't been able to find a cheap lazy susan locally, but I found an old but very smooth running motor from an old VCR to act as a spindle. I took two old cable drums, big one I used just the two wooden discs to make the 'lazy susan.' To the top I glued a smaller one. I then cut up some old printers metal sheet I had tucked in the back of my shed to make 8 little troughs to hang around it. I didn't quite get them right, but it does the job; plus I get to use the top as a frit jar holder too!

The finished article in use!


The bare bones and spindle before fitting the metal holders



sarah t

you and frederick should get together ....what with his arm rests work station and your lazy glass susan ....the beady world looks forward to the next brilliant invention ....could you look into ventilation please ...(the movable ear trumpet one that was in the other thread looks interesting !!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM41V_okuo

Steampunkglass

I didn't think of making the motor move! Mind you a self propelled spinning thing full of glass might be asking for trouble! I did toy with the idea of putting lights in it though, to illuminate the glass, with the spinning effect it would have ended up more ufo than useful tool though!

It would be just as easy to recreate if you can pick up a normal lazy-susan, I just used the vcr motor because it was to hand and free! The tricky bit was getting the size of troughs; I spent sunday afternoon in front of TV whilst cutting out templates in card to try first, then out of tin sheet, so it was actually quite a lazy build!  :D

The ear trumpet thing looks very interesting, hummm.......... I thinking of a vacuum cleaner and some old guttering now.......  ;)

Ilona

I came home today and hubby had made me one, with 3 shelves.

I wanted one for all my frit and had a revolving cake decorating stand laying idle.

It is rather basic but does the job.