Setting on Oxy Con

Started by ABCreations, March 04, 2007, 12:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCreations

Yesterday I was ready to use my minor set up for the first time and naturally, I was a bit scared. After trying to get the settings right, the flame didn't seem very hot so I switched it all off again. What scared me the most was probably the deafening silence of this set up LOL
I got quite used to the racket my HH used to make  :D

I've tried again just now, the oxy con runs fine on 4.5 but now I got a yellow button telling me that it's below normal, exeeding 5l/m.  ??? What am I doing wrong?
On the other hand though, the flame is about 5-5" long and really hot now and I'm amazed at how fast the glass will melt!
Can anybody give me advice please? Very much appreciated!
Jo

glassworks

most oxycons will run happily at 4.5lpm..... anything near or over 5lpm then we have found some will give th elow warning light - but this is for personal use so no concern to flameworking..

turn the flow rate down to 4.5 and leave it there.... turn the torch oxy flow wide open and fine tune the flame with the propane flow... try to get the individual little "candles" pure blue, with just the hint of white a the tips - which indicates all th epropane is being burnt and you won't clog up the front of your torch..

;D

ABCreations

HI Q,
thank you so much for your help! I wish, I'd seen your ads earlier. Never mind, there's always a next time, ey?  ;) I'm off now - torching!!! See you later  ;D

devoncows

don't panic mine runs on amber too. if it stops altogether drop it on concreat from a coulpe of inches and it sorts it's self out! sounds wierd but it is whatr i was advised. Mine some times just conks out.

devoncows

where did you get yours from?

ABCreations

Thanks everyone for your advice!  :-*

Hi Alice,

it's running fine now, thank goodness. I was a little bit scared at first but it runs like clockwork now. I got mine from Martin about 2 months ago but haven't used till yesterday due to illness in the family. I was looking for oxy con suppliers in the uk but could only ever find one back then......

I've been working with my HH till now and was quite happy but thought, I had to move on and up from there. All of a sudden 'stringer control' has got a complete different meaning! LOL I'm really really impressed, just how hot that sexy, little number gets! It's so much fun, I didn't want to stop this evening. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated!!!  :-*
Jo

glassworks

we have a row of 5 in front of our bench each running their own torch - they look like escapees from a star wars moving.... "attack of the oxycons!"...

;D ;D

the racket they make when frst turned on turns ear wax and brains to gel..... we turn em on a run like hell!!.. even the bats no longer roost in the roof during the evening, they come back later when its quiet!

ABCreations

Thank you all, my set up runs fine now. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooo enjoying this!!!!
I'm now looking for new bead presses, got a few but nothing that says 'AHA!', if you know, what I mean. Only thing is, whenever I get them from the states I get stung by customs. Haven't we got any UK suppliers for presses? I've searched 'Q's'  site and found lots of lovely stuff but no presses. Any ideas anyone?  :)

beadysam

The presses I've got, I bought from the LE garage sale and requested they write `used tool' on the customs declaration.  I have never had to pay charges on presses. ;D

glassworks

not long now!!.....

we have a plan..........

;)

Mary

Caroline

ooooooooooooooh Q, we need more info ;D

ABCreations

Oh yes please Q, before I place the order for my glassy bits!!!!  :D Will it be a long time before we see the results of your plans?   ;D This country is clearly screaming for decent suppliers! Go on then, you know, you wanna be rich... LOL  :-*

glassworks

not rich, but we do want to bring in an alternative!..

the tools and presses will take some time due to weight issues... we've grown rapidly, and there is still some way to go - but the tools and accessories supply is a whole new ball game for us!... thanks for you patience everyone...

;D

BeverleyH

Goody goody!!  I've always bemoaned the lack of tools (!) in this country.

Just picked one up from the post office yesterday. Cost £30 then £8.50 customs and VAT!  Pain in the derriere but we don't have much choice - well, actually, we don't have ANY choice..... so get those skates on Q m'boy and I'm sure you'll have lots of orders.  ;D

Bev