C'mon then, who's made something with their ekho?

Started by turnedlight, July 25, 2009, 11:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

kathryn

Trudi

Well I've only made some test beads - but there's quite a variety of rections you can get!!

top right  - electric purples!!
bottom right - caramel lustre
bottom left pearl lustre

Diane

I've put a few of these on the show and tell but these are mostly ekho

Top over opal yellow,  bottom left - opal yellow then pale green I think . right - CIM grape ape in the middle plum outside.

Diane x - sorry the pics are a little large :o

June

Mmmm, some lovely examples using Ekho already  ;D

Here's a few test beads from me

turnedlight

I have had a go now, I like the purples that come quite easily, wish I knew how to reduce the amount of amber I get if I use clear underneath.. I don't mind it, it looks very nice, but sometimes you just want the purples.. perhaps it's because I'm using effetre crystal clear?
Anyhow, here's my little pile, lovely glass and easy to use :)
ekho with clear and ivory..

kathryn

sublimekate

I have some pics at last.....

All a combination of clear, white and ivory bases. I'm not 100% sold on it yet but it's growing on me  :)

turnedlight

Lovely beads Kate! I hadn't thought of white, I did try it on a black core, and did more layers of Ekho..

kathryn

Trudi

Kathryn - super beads BTW

here's a set of refind electric purple

and I know what you mean about the amber showing - I encased these with dark lavender! It doesn't show on the pic - but these baby's shoot out stunnig purple!

sublimekate

Rather i ove with it now coz I got something similar to my dragon beads and I love them  ;D

Encased Ekho Dragons with lots of purple which I was pleased about

And some encased baby ones with silver

Veebee

As promised, Ekho with silver foil over ivory. The first has a bit of opaque turquoise with the ivory, the pressed bead cracked because dummy here peeked too soon  ::). The stripey barrel and the drop are just over ivory.
I am absolutely in love with this glass, and I am getting these colours on my Hot Head!

**Clicky pics!**

Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

turnedlight

I have got some more colours out of Ekho, this glass is so versatile! Can't match Kates though  :( :)
Forgot to say, this is over CIM thai orchid!

:)
kathryn

sublimekate

Quote from: Trudi on August 07, 2009, 03:23:34 PM
You know I keep trying Kate – and while I get nice finishes – it's nothing like the colours you're getting! Obviously there are a lot a variables – batch of glass, torch, mix  but sadly .....

When you get it glowing – and let it cool – does it go dark?

When you strike it  - are you flashing it quickly through the flame   - or heating it right up again??

Sorry – lots of questions I know – I just love the reactions you're getting!

Ok this is exactly what I do to get MOP sparkly purples:

1) Use a light opaque base to make a thin barrel, light bases seem to work best for me, white is good, best one so far for me is CiM Khaki, a grey would probably be good too.
2) Blob the ekho on, I don't wrap it on because I'm tight  ;D blobbing it on seems to use less of it to cover the barrel, but I don't worry about gaps, it seems to be a good spreader anyway.
3) Melt the blobs in, roll back to a barrel on a graphite marver.
4) At this stage it's mucky yellow/beige, not very pretty  :P
5) let it cool, and I mean really cool, I waft it around in the air, blow on it, waft it around a bit more until it starts to get darker, dark streaks appear.
6) I put it in a neutral flame towards the back, flashing it in and out just to stop it getting too hot, I don't want a glow back, I roll it around a bit, it goes very very dark and starts to reduce to a metallic finish.
7) While I'm doing 5 and 6 I get my clear warming up
8) I take it out of the flame once it's reduced and put the first layer of encasing on with the bead just out of the flame. Once its on I melt it in, gently.
9) I use a doming block to shape the bead in-between layers of encasing, I don't rely on heat to shape the bead tbh, I'm always scared of getting the bead too hot.

Having said that of all the DH reducing colours I've found Ekho the most tolerant of heat while encasing, it takes quite a lot of heat to lose the MOP effect.

I'm on a nortel minor, I have it running cool, I never work with the oxycon above 3, I know they're all different but thought I'd say, I like to work slow and it's possible this is good for DH colours I don't know  ???

When I reduce I rarely turn the propane up, more often I turn the oxy down.

hth, and that nobody thinks I'm trying to be a smarty pants, this is just what works for me  :)

K xxxxx

Modified to include pic: These are what I made as per above using CiM Khaki Base and effetre ***006 to encase, no photo editing, this straight off my camera taken in the garden in full evening sun.

Trudi

ok- the light wasn't briliant - but this is my best one encased in lavender

dinah46

I just posted this in the show and tell but I hope you'll forgive me for the duplication - I love Ekho and all these have varying amounts of it.

Clare Scott