drilling

Started by Trudi, July 04, 2009, 09:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trudi

Hi

Me again - lots of questions!! This time about drilling.

If I have a pendant that I want to drill a hole in - how do I do this please - and in simple terms, what kind of drill and bits do I need?

Also - if I have an air bubble I need to drill 0 how do I do this - and how do I re-fire...........

Thanks in advance!

Tx

Pam

Hi Trudi,
I am assuming its glass!
Diamond coated drill bit- very slowly and lots of water.
It can lake a few minutes to get through glass, don't put any pressure down on the bit otherwise-ping. Water will help the drill bit stay cool.

Refire at about 700 degrees c (a polisg firing schedule will do it) you just want the glass to soften but  not melt (slightly cooler than slumping temp).

Hope this helps?

Trudi

gosh - that was quick!!!

When you say a diamond drill bit - is this the same type of bit that you'd use for reaming - and would I be able to use my rotary tool?

Thanks

Trudi x

Pam

It is similar but I use a drill bit in a press drill (just because it is easier for me).
If tou have a dremil or that type of drill you may find a suitable bit in your accessory pack if not have a look on the bay or warmglass.co.uk or a similar site.

julieHB

Drilling: If there is no hole before, I recommend to get a good quality diamond coated core drill (I use a 2mm)- these look like a tube. You can get cheap ones on ebay, don't go there. For good quality ones expect to pay £15-20 -in the UK Inland sells them, www.warm-glass.co.uk might have them as well. I have had mine for several years. Mark where you want the hole with a cd-marker, and smear with a very thin layer of vaseline . Put an old tile in an old ice cream tub or similar, add water until it covers the pendant on top of the tile. Use your dremel, or similar, on full speed (minimum 20,000 revs). Start the hole off by touching the drillbit to the pendant at 45 deg so it get a grip, then turn it perpendicular. Do not add pressure, the weight of the dremel is enough. Every so often lift the drillbit out so more water comes in (cooling). As soon as you are finished, remove the glass core inside the drillbit.

If you want to make a hole bigger you can use the cheapish diamond bits used for engraving etc. You can easily pick up a set on ebay for about £5. I have a set of these, giving me the option of many different diameters. NB: when you use a bigger bit, use a lower speed on your dremel.

I have a firing schedule I use to round off grinding marks and which ensures there's no milky residue left. Am not quite sure where I've got it at the mo, but will dig it out for you later. You will find info on different firing schedules on Bullseye's site as well. Sorry, must go, kids have tennis club!  ::)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

dinah46