illusion 3 strand necklace...decent size clam shell ends ???

Started by chocolateteapot, June 29, 2009, 01:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocolateteapot

hi, stuck in a pickle.

My daughters old teacher wants me to make wedding jewellery..i got out of it for various reasons, mostly cos i dont enjoy that kind of thing at all. i told her where to go etc (shop I mean)...but she came back to me saying it was too expensive and she didnt want to pay that....well i dont know what she thought i was gonna charge but obviously not much...all about lack of respect of our profession i guess.

Anyway, frightened unhappy rabbit caught in headlights looking for decent necklace ends for illusion necklace. Clam shell thing or callots or something. I have ordered a  couple of bits from Palmers but i think they might be too small to fit 3 strands/knotted ends of 0.1 mm illusion cord in. Can anyone help? Any other ways of doing it? Luckliy she is threading the strands and fixing the swarovskis in place with the cement stuff, cos i charging her what it costs to make (materials)...no choice really.

Anyway, shes coming on thursday to put it all together  :o  have left it too long cos of funeral and all sorts..just life really..anyway must stop babbling and give you peeps a chance to help me.....please
Thanks
Tracy xxx
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

Mary

Instead of knotting the line, what about one crimp over all 3 strands, then a calotte over that?

chocolateteapot

Hi Mary and thanks for that. Am just worried in case the crimp bead severe's the 0.1 mm necklace line. the metal is sharp....but i may give it ago...see what happens...thanks...

Any more suggestions welcome too...
Tracy x
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

mizgeorge

I hate clamshells and calottes with a vengeance! Why not just crimp all three ends into a chain end?

http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/Sterling-Silver-Bead-Chain-Crimp-End-0.7mm-11164.aspx

these aren't sharp, they do squash the line, but I've never had one break.

chocolateteapot

Aww thanks so much...i did order a couple of those end from palmers today out of desperation actually but i didnt know if i did the right thing or not. What a relief. Do i need to put some glue in as well do u think?
I remeber a few years ago i bought some clams or whatever they claim to be and ending up chucking em out cos they were so rubbish in so many different ways...thanks again

xx

mizgeorge

No glue needed! My only tip is to try to put the three cord in 'in a row' rather than bunched up, so that all three get nicely crimped when you squish the middle bit!

chocolateteapot

Excellent..will have a little practice at lining up b4 hand....

thanks me lovely..x ;D