flame on a minor

Started by princess pink, June 23, 2009, 08:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princess pink

right so i set up my minor and oxycon yesterday and i'm so happy with it!!! its so pretty!

but i'm not sure what flames are for what, on a HH you don't have much in the way of options lol!

What should my normal melting bead making flame look like?

And how do i get a reducing flame, because yesterday i covered my bead in soot trying to reduce it! eek! so any advice would be appreciated

also i've heard how some people turn their torch down for stringer work but which bits do you turn down?

It's all so confusing! ???

Trudi

I think if you do a search on the forum you will find a thread with pictures!

lemon kitten

There was a thread on this subject..... I'm sure there was....I've tried searching on the "Help" under torches you might like to have a look under torch settings (I would, but I have to post and run....work calls!)  I have a really good tut from Anouk "Makinf silver Glass Sing"  it gives some useful settings on it and shows how much, and what you need to turn up or down for reducing.  Basically what I do is.....turn the prophane up so I have little yellow "tongues" of flame (you really DON'T want a completely yellow flame or...YES you will get soot..... I know....I DID!!!) I sometimes turn the prophane down a couple of notches too.  But get the tut I mentioned it should be on her Etsy site it's absolutley brill!  My silver glass is singing too now!.....and all it did before was warble a bit

Janey
Never stand up in a canoe!

Sarah

Try this thread Shahlaa: flame on a minor

or this wiki link.

I usually turn my oxy down a touch to get a reducing flame - but you can switch the propane up a bit. Its trial and error to see what works for you and your torch.

To lower the flame for stringer work you'll need to turn down the oxy & propane just a touch until you get a smaller flame. But remember to work at the side of the flame not in the flame.

It is a bit of a learning curve when you switch over to a dual fuel torch so expect to take some time getting to know your torch.

Sarah
xxx

Wishing Wells Glass

Dickie's pictures in Sarah's 'flame on a minor' link are spot on (of course!). 

Also Sarah's info on turning down the flame for stringer work is exactly what I would say.  I don't do it myself but I've seen others do it and that is what they did :)

x