What Grinder???

Started by Flippopotamus, June 05, 2009, 05:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloki

QuoteI really, really, really don't expect my sub £200 inland to be able to do anything like as good a job as Rachel's crystal master.  Why would it?

Because I desperately wanted it to and reading the bumph, I genuinely thought it could!

You have to admit it "reads very well", but it's thanks to forums like this, that people can share their experiences, both good and bad.
Cerri

Zeldazog

Quote from: Lloki on June 09, 2009, 08:31:54 PM
QuoteI really, really, really don't expect my sub £200 inland to be able to do anything like as good a job as Rachel's crystal master.  Why would it?

I;m sorry, that probably sounded really ar$y, didn't it, Cerri?  I didn't mean it to be!  To be honest, I didn't read the bumph that closely, specially about polishing, as that wasn't my reason for buying it - I wanted it for grinding, getting a polishing wheel was just a bonus in the box (although it may turn out not to be!).  Knowing how long cold working can take with even professional polishing equipment, I have no interest in wasting my time like that!

I think we've all been guilty of buying the "hobby" something cheaper than the "professsional", believing (hoping) that it will do as a good a job - and sometimes they do - I certainly have - and have boxes of unused equipment to prove it (mini sandblaster, tried once, no result, put away again, to name only one). 

I really must go and have a long play with my inland to see what results I can get, so that it doesn't end up another white elephant!

Flyingcheesetoastie

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to put anyone out.  Thing is I'm full time with the glass so I didn't want to get something that wouldn't last, but at the same time I was limited with space in the studio so still had to go with a desktop machine rather than a larger item.

If it's any consolation I did look into the swap-top but I asked a lot of artists about it and looked at the specs side by side with other bits and felt it just wasn't going to take the beating I give mine every day!

I also had help from the supplier (hisglassworks) who discussed exactly what I wanted to do and glass I used etc.

You're all welcome to come up and have a play with it though! he he