Airsep/Minor "leaking"

Started by Rosenquartz, May 30, 2009, 08:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosenquartz

I've just taken delivery of an Airsep oxycon and Nortel Minor from Greit and Q. I've connected it all up and it seems to work. But when I close the oxy valve on the torch the oxy continues to "leak" from the torch - I think from around the hose connection. The hose is secured to the barb of the torch with a jubilee clip (shh, don't tell Corgi) and is not split. Even when I shut down the oxycon it continues to "leak". I guess that the oxycon has the oxy under pressure and it continues to come out of the oxycon until the pressure runs out - if I open the compressed air tap it dies off. But I don't remember this happening when using Minors and oxycons at Jazzy Lily (I know that wasn't Airsep though) or at Jolene's.

Is it normal? Is it safe?
Rosenquartz

turnedlight

I got my oxycon from Q, and the clear plastic tube from the oxycon was very loose around the bit where it joins on to the torch (I have a minor too). My solution was not to try and crimp it tight with the jubilee clip as it is not as flexible as a rubber tube, I found another slightly smaller piece of clear tubing that only just fits inside the first, and pushed it in the end and clamped this double layered tube on the torch IYSWIM. It's very snug now! I think I nicked the thinner tube from the end of the one on my kid's ant home (or similar toy)!
Had I not been able to do this, me next port of call was to ask Q what to do!
kathryn

Hamilton Taylor

Yes, it's entirely safe if oxygen leaks from any of the joins between the oxycon and the torch. Remember - the oxycon separates oxygen from the air, so all that's happening is the oxygen recombines with the same air it left, and you waste some electricity. This is not the same if you are using bottled oxy, of course.
I wrap a little plastic electrical tape around the oxy inlet on my torches, until the oxy hose is a tight push fit, and then I don't need to clamp it at all. Makes for easy changing when we need to rearrange the studio, too..

hth,

Sean

Josephine

I use a bit of electrical tape too.

Rosenquartz

Thanks for the tape tip Sean (and Josephine) - tried it with thread tape - it works. I think I'll upgrade to electrical tape though if you say it's okay without a clip then - I spent ages staring at my crowded garage wondering where I could put the oxycon so that it wouldn't get knocked about and the hose wouldn't trip people up. Being able to take it apart easily would mean I could perhaps find a "home" for it when it's not out playing.

Thanks.
Rosenquartz

Lush!

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on May 30, 2009, 09:07:14 PM
Yes, it's entirely safe if oxygen leaks from any of the joins between the oxycon and the torch.

Phew, that's a relief cos mine has always leaked!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Dragonfire Glass