Rod Warmers? Doh!

Started by Lush!, May 14, 2009, 09:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

I'm sorry, I'm such a dope sometimes - I forgot to add the link in my first post, how on earth were you meant to know what I was going on about?!!  ???

Added now!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

Quote from: Dendrobium on May 14, 2009, 11:57:15 AM
In that case I am sure it couldn't bee too hard to rig something up to hold it???

Ooooo - such dangerous thoughts!!!  ;D ;) I've decided that when I catch myself saying "well, how hard can it be to make......." something, I try and distract myself and think of something else!  :D

Les

Steampunkglass

ooo! I see why you're so excited, looks like it works even better than I'd imagined - plenty of times I've felt like I need an extra hand to hold something in the flame!

QuoteOoooo - such dangerous thoughts!!!    I've decided that when I catch myself saying "well, how hard can it be to make......." something, I try and distract myself and think of something else! 
Distractions not working, I'm now thinking of what lumps of tin and gaffa tape I have in the shed....... Someone stop me!

Sulis (Hazel)

Quote from: Redhotsal on May 14, 2009, 11:47:30 AM
Quote from: strawackie on May 14, 2009, 10:46:25 AM
Yay for four-pronged hotfingers!!  ;) :D

Yay for the student who has survived the Redhotsal experience!!!!!!  ;)

The clue is in the title - you're not Redhot for nothing Sal! Sounds quite exciting though, I reckon you could market your tuition as one of those high adrenaline 'experiences'  ;D
Hazel x

Lush!

White Knuckle Beads  ;D

Glenn, I've just tried the very technical "balancing rod on top of jam jar" technique, but I need a taller jar, so I might have to try "balancing rod on top of jam jar on top of bovril jar" next ... hey, I was trained by Redhotsal you know  ;)

Redhotsal

Extreme Lampworking.
Heavens - what have I created??!

Still - looking at the Youttube video it does beg the question - could any of us made a bead that size in less than three minutes? Not sure that I could! (Too busy chasing hot things around and building useless glass tools!)

Steampunkglass

Nah, takes me three minutes to decide what colour to use, then another three to remember what I am doing!
I think you can improve on the jam jar technique by adding some blobs of blue tack to make a little channel to stop the rods rolling off, and height can be adjusted by standing jam jar on books of varying thickness  ;)  :D I learnt so much about engineering from watching Tom & Jerry and Wille Coyote!!!  :P

Lush!

Blue Tack, yay!

Oooh ooh, how about Museum Gel?  I've got a couple of pots somewhere ...  :D

Steampunkglass

Quotehow about Museum Gel
That's all too new fangled for me! I'm all old technology here!

Vicki

nope, I'd never heard of it either, I (like trudi) have been known to rest the odd rod of shocky glass into the kiln, but i have asbestos hands & it does get quite hot in there  ::)

Redhotsal

Quote from: Dendrobium on May 14, 2009, 01:15:59 PM
Quotehow about Museum Gel
That's all too new fangled for me! I'm all old technology here!

I should hope so - or you wouldn't be Steam Punk!  ;D
Have you seen that valves are once again the latest thing in audio equipment now? We'll be cranking up cars from the front to start them next!

Steampunkglass

QuoteWe'll be cranking up cars from the front to start them next!
LOL! I think where I live sounds like some people already do that on cold mornings!
Yes heard about, the valve thing in audio amps, (very good technical reasons for this & why semiconducters can't hack it, but I shalln't bore you with it all!) it just goes to show that every thing has a place, however old fashioned it might seem; and there is nothing quite like curling up in front of a hifi with a nice warm valve glow (although that might just be me!)

catriona

Wow i like the look of that i, going to let my hubby and bro see this and see if the can come up with something simler .
xxcatxx

Dragonfire Glass

I was wondering if the filming was speeded up!

How about a metal try on top of the kiln, or someone uses those tea light thingies you see in Chinese restaurants, or didn't I hear of the hot plate from a slow cooker?