Question re Paragon Bluebird bead kiln

Started by Diane, February 19, 2007, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane

Hi - does anyone have one of these and how are they getting on with it.  Thinking of getting one but a friend is having problems with hers.  The interior lining is lumpy - are they fibre or brick type lining and the beads are slumping.  I think she must be firing too high - she says 545 deg.  Can anyone give advice?

Les

I anneal at around 520c ... but mine's an older kiln and so may not register it's temperature as exactly as a new one... if I knock mine a degree or two over the 520 mark, I start to get bits of fiber sticking to the beads....

HTH

Les xx

Mike Frantz

The Paragon Bluebird is a fiber blanket type of floor.  If beads slump or get flat on the side sitting on the floor of the kiln, no doubt, too hot.  When we first starting selling these kilns there were a few problems, but Paragon has worked them all out (as far as I know) and I do like this kiln.  It has lots of space for lots of beads, but not a good kiln for fusing and not for using Precious metal clay.  The SC2 is not fiber like the Bluebird, nor is it brick, it is something else, like a hard fiber.  This kiln has a small door, but it can be used for Precious metal clay type products.  This kiln has a big door (like a refridgerator) but within the big door is a bead door.

I hope this helps

Mike Frantz

Diane

Hi Mike
Thanks for the info - that answers all my questions and is very useful.

LesleyMac

Hi Diane, I have the Paragon SC2 and love it, has the bead door so its all easy.  Never had a problem yet and even I can figure out the controls. (I am tv/video/dvd challenged, this stuff bores me I guess). I know it can easily be used for the PMC but haven't tried it yet and my only concern would be cross contamination with the glass but that would apply with any kiln.  Wonder if anyone has any advice on this, does anyone make PMC items and also beads?  Very interested to know if anyone has had any problems.
Lesley
Everyone is gifted, its just that some leave the wrapping on longer than others
(Richard Wilkins)

My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5469196

Sarah

Hi Diane

545 sounds a little high to me - like Les I anneal at 520. I have a Paragon SC2 & 520 works fine for me.

Diane

Hi
Thanks Lesley and Sarah -I agree 520 is more like it - info very useful.
Diane

littlegiggles

I have a bluebird and I love it... really roomy for beads... I run it at 520 and nothings been affected by the fibreboard uneven-ness (unless I put it in too hot which would happen with any kiln)

Mike Frantz

Art Clay and the SC2 are compatible. 

mIKE FRANtz