Main Menu

Boro and SIS ?

Started by sublimekate, May 11, 2009, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sublimekate

Can I use SIS made using effetre with Boro?

I'm thinking I can probably use it very sparingly, would the 5% rule apply??

But then I'm thinking, No.

I should have done a test bead really but my kiln's ramping down now and Boro is expensive too I don't want to waste anymore of the stuff than I already have, and I haven't convinced myself either way yet  :)

Thanks. kate

Kaz

Would have thought the CoE's were much too far apart 104 to 33? But someone who has experience of both may put me right on that!
Is there no ivory or cream boro that you could get the same effect with silver foil?
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Diane

I would be very doubtful that Effetre, even as a stringer, would be compatible with boro although I haven't tried it.  I have been trying out boro this last week with fine silver wire and just find it impossible to get a 'tack' on the glass without melting off all the silver ???.  Will have a go with silver foil next time.

Diane x

sublimekate

OK, thanks Kaz and Diane, I think it's a no isn't it, I haven't really seen it used on boro and that probably says a lot. Would be interested to know how you get on with silver foil Diane, I'll have a go too.

Kate xx

Ian R Pearson

There is no way you can seal boro to a glass with CoE of 104, ( except by glue! LOL). I have used 5 different types of glass in graded seals each one varying by 15 so you would go Boro, then a glass with CoE of 45, 60.75.90 and 104. I can understand the need for a scientific reason for instance sealing metal to borosilicate but not sure the reasoning behind an artistic need, but appreciate there must be one otherwise the question would not have been asked.

Ian

Steampunkglass

I wouldn't go for that either I'm affraid. I did try mixing some enamel with the boro and that made a stringer that looked like a split ends hair maginifed and fell appart in my hands. From my reading up I understand there are some boros (with chrome metal colours I think) that if they go wrong cause localised changes in coe to 55 - and then they crack, and I can vouch for that too!!!! So even a little 104 will at best crack, and worst go crazing paving.

It's weird old stuff, what sort of effect you are trying to do? If you wrap some silver around clear boro to make an sis stringer goes a manky sort of yellow (although that's probably not much help!  :-\ ) I haven't really had any joy with silver+boro as it seems to vanish before the boro gets near melting, although haven't really played with adding silver wire yet only leaf & foil

Diane

Thanks Glen - thinking about it - the foil would burn off at the temp you need to get to in order to shape the boro so that's saved me wasting any of my silver foil :)  I did manage to get a few 'blobs' (small) of  fine silver onto a bead using fine wire but it was so busy melting and tryng to avoid it falling on my hands don't think it was worth it and won't be doing it again.  Boro is so lovely when you get the right colour mixes that it would be like 'gilding the lily' anyway :)

Diane x

sublimekate

Quote from: Diane on May 13, 2009, 06:51:56 AM
Boro is so lovely when you get the right colour mixes that it would be like 'gilding the lily' anyway :)

Diane x

The more I think about it, the more I think your right Diane, I just had an idea that's all, feel a bit daft now, it seems so obvious that it just wouldn't work.

Thanks Glenn and Ian for your input and helping me see the light....

Quote from: Ian R Pearson on May 11, 2009, 09:35:18 PM
I can understand the need for a scientific reason for instance sealing metal to borosilicate but not sure the reasoning behind an artistic need, but appreciate there must be one otherwise the question would not have been asked.
Ian

This made me chuckle, interesting how very different a viewpoint scientific glassblowers and lampworkers have on things, of course there is no 'need' it was merely an artistic whim  ;)

Kate xx

Ian Pearson

Always happy  to provide the "chuckle factor" Kate. I think you will find a lot of scientific glassblowers can swing both ways so to speak. That is a little bit of science and a bit of the "other". The "other" being artistic which would include beadmaking. Most subscribe to the thought that clear boro, (or borosilicate) is best which I guess is an intersting approach for most here.

Keep "whimming" !  ;) :D

Ian