the great torch debate ........continued ........HELP !!

Started by sarah t, May 10, 2009, 12:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarah t

i know you guys have had this discussions loads ...i have gone through the previous threads ...i know there is no definitive answer its about choice and preference.....but if any of you could offer a bit more  recent advice or feedback i would appreciate it  :D

I'm looking at

cricket ...great price but only available in USA? (import tax...postage......support issues... to consider)

minnow ...looks a good choice but previous concerns about Bethlehem going under? (import tax...postage ..support issues...to consider if having to get direct as sellers in Europe seam to have a problem getting hold of it ?)

minor .....most popular choice... its the most expensive but tuffnels have all the bits and can provide support service ?

any others i have missed ?

on bulk already......i will only have one oxycon ....have a creation station..... and can i get the necessary connecting bits and bobs if i don't go with minor ?.......i don't want to grow out of it to quickly so needs to be able to do stuff I'm not doing at the moment but  i will be eventually !!

questions    questions      questions    ::)......getting a new torch should be exciting not a research nightmare  :(

Shirley

I think there's someone here who bought a cricket, imported it themselves. I've got a bobcat, which is the next one up from the cricket. Love it. It looks great and is very adjustable. I can get a really fine flame for detailed work but at the same time I know it can produce enough heat to melt mandrels (I've done it! ;D)  It doesn't seem to use a lot of gas, and I like that the torch is constructed in such a way that quite a lot of the body of it doesn't get hot. I can actually rest my hand on the edge of my torch top marver to steady it without my hand burning. It comes on a flat stand that is very easy to clamp to a workbench.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mizgeorge

I've got a cricket - and I absolutely love it! If you want to come and have a go sometime, I'm only down t'road..... It's designed to run on low pressure, so it's hotter than a hot thing. I read a lot of reviews before making the decision and haven't regretted it for a minute.

Im a glassy babe

Quote from: Shirley on May 10, 2009, 12:14:55 PM
I think there's someone here who bought a cricket, imported it themselves. I've got a bobcat, which is the next one up from the cricket. Love it. It looks great and is very adjustable. I can get a really fine flame for detailed work but at the same time I know it can produce enough heat to melt mandrels (I've done it! ;D)  It doesn't seem to use a lot of gas, and I like that the torch is constructed in such a way that quite a lot of the body of it doesn't get hot. I can actually rest my hand on the edge of my torch top marver to steady it without my hand burning. It comes on a flat stand that is very easy to clamp to a workbench.

Bobcat here too.  Love it!  All of the above totally agree with.  And yes! I have melted a couple of mandrels too  ::)  Got mine from Tuffnells.

Good Luck  ;D

lemon kitten

ONE word..............................MINOR!

Janey x
Never stand up in a canoe!

Lush!

My torch is a Minnow, Sarah.  I bought if from Glassworks in Belgium but all my propane hosing came from Tuffnells and connected up with no problem at all.  I didn't have any particular reason for choosing the Minnow over the Minor, it was just what I was offered I think - but at the time everybody seemed to agree that they're much of a muchness.

I fancy a bigger torch .. might investigate Cricket/Bobcat.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Dee Dee

I have a Cricket and am very happy with it.  It's designed to work with one Oxycon, and is hot (apparently)!  I've heard it's flame width is a bit narrower than others, but I haven't found it a problem.  But, other than a hothead, I've never used anything else, so have no real comparison!  ;D

Funky Cow

I like my Minnow, but am really hankering after a Bobcat  ::)
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

Lloki

I upgraded from a HH to a Bobcat at the FlameOff (more retirement funds for Martin!) and I LOVE it!
The main reason that I chose it over a minor was that I found the flame much more adjustable from almost pinpoint to reasonably bushy - I haven't managed to melt a mandrel yet though!
Like Shirley, I've found that it doesn't appear to use much gas, compared to my HH (DH spent a week golfing in Portugal - I spent a week in my shed ;D ,if I'd been on the HH I'd have expected to change tanks by then, but it's still going strong)
Good luck with what you decide!
Cerri

Sarah

I have a Bethlehem Betta and I love it. But I think torches are very personal and I'd strongly recommend you take up any offers to try torches before you buy. What one person loves another hates  ::)

For instance, I can't seem to switch a GTT torch on without a flame shooting out which would take the eyebrows off anyone sitting opposite me  :-[ Which is a shame because they are so pretty.

I don't think you should worry about importing a torch from the States - lots of us have done that without any problems. And I understand the issue around Bethlehem was a contract issue around distribution.

Good luck and have fun  :)

Sarah
xxx

sparrow

My mega minor came directly from the States - bit of a faff, the connector didn't fit, but nothing a trip to a plumbers didn't sort. Definitely echoing that if you can have a play on other torches, go for it.
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

beadysam

I've got a Bobcat and love it - however I want to move up to a Lynx, or maybe even bigger.... ;)