My hot head is broken!!!

Started by princess pink, April 26, 2009, 07:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

princess pink

i have a problem. My torch isn't working! I'm not sure what is wrong with it but it isn't heating up very hot and just won't melt beads properly. I went to torch for first time after 6 weeks today and all the beads came out rubbish! I made a few fritties first on white and the white took ages to melt and wouldn't go red hot or clear like normal, just went milky. then i made pink beads as this was going to be my bead colour and again it wouldn't melt properly and the pink went all matte and scaly in the flame-i think because it was just sitting there too long. it took me over an hour to make a baby pink 1 inch lentil bead. 

The propane tank has only had about 10 hours use and the torch was fine last time i used it. it was turned on fully and so was the torch. just wasn't getting hot, couldn't really make any of the beads glow red hot like normal. and not sure why the pink scaled-it looked almost matte in places. oh and the torch has only had about 10 hours use and it's aout 2 months old.

any ideas? x

dangerousbead

Mine too, must be in the stars. Whilst looking for an answer to why mine was leaking (cos it is) I discovered that there is something added to Propane to make it smell, for safety reasons, and this stuff can pool if the hoses are lower than the tank, and clog up the torch. I'm sorry but I don't have any other ideas, nor do I know how to solve it. Good luck anyway
Jane

Lush!

I know nowt about hot heads or propane really - but it sounds more like a lack of gas than a problem with the torch to me.  Have you given the gas bottle a shake? Can you hear it sloshing around? Is it still heavy?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

princess pink

gas tank is full, its blimmin heavy! it's a full 11kg tank, only used a few times. i'm not sure what to do to be honest. and i'm off to scotland for a week tomorrow so won't be around to sort it out. I'll clean it out when i get back and try again but not sure what else to do?!

Should i send it back? How do i know if it's that or the gas? i mean i'm pretty sure the gas is fine as its worked before for me, but then so has the torch. Just getting abit upset with it all to be honest, was so looking forward to torching today, really kept me going over my exams as something to look forward to and now this. Am i just destined not to be a bead maker???

Lush!

Calm down Shahlaa  :-*

What about the hose - have you checked for kinks, blockages or leaks?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

princess pink

well it seemed fine, its brand new hosing with the quick release couplings which snapped together fine and detached fine after i gave up. i just can't work it out. i don't have a carbon monoxide dectector (i know i know i need to get one!!) ut my gas tank gas stinks and you def would smell it if it was leaking. it is sitting in a loose coil but always has been and nothing rests on the hosing.

i know i shouldn't get stressed aout it, but i just joined the book title bead swap and now i'm letting my whole team down as i'll have to wait a couple of weeks to get it sorted as away from tomorrow and i'll probably just have to forfeit my place and i was so looking forward to making beads for ppl and actually enjoying some torch time.

Shirley

If you turn on the hothead but don't light it can you still smell the propane? If not then there could be a blockage.

Also, try the regulator on different settings. I remember an occasion when I could barely get the torch to light, and was convinced I'd got the wrong gas, then found that I needed to adjust the regulator.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

Don't worry about the swap bead Shahlaa - you can go at your own pace. I haven't managed to do mine yet and am away all week!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

princess pink

ok when i get back i'll try to see if i can smell the gas with the torch turned on. it did light really quickly though. will disconnect it and clean it out and if it doesn't work i'll send it back to tuffnells. I'll also re-check my gas tank.

Thanks for the reassurance re the swap kaz, i just dont like letting ppl down.

if anyone has a spare HH lying around would love to borrow it and see if it makes any difference x

Redhotsal

Sounds like the torch is blocked. Unscrew it from the bulk propane assembly and have a good look in it.

As what Shirley said are you getting a good dose of propane coming out before you light it - it should rush out (but don't leave it turned on for long!)? If you're not getting propane through then you have some sort of blockage.

The tank is probably still full and I doubt you've caused the insides of the hose to start to "rot" but you should always burn off the fuel after each bead session in future.

Is your regulator on or off? Don't forget - a UK propane regulator needs to be fully screwed IN (turned all the way clockwise) to be fully on. If you have unscrewed it all the way it will actually be OFF.

If you are in any doubt at all don't use it but phone the torch supplier as soon as you can.

Hamilton Taylor

Why not bring your torch and hose/reg set to Scotland, then when you come in, I'll have a look at it for you.

Sean

princess pink

right i will do all that when i get back

I can't bring it with me sean as my torch is at my parents house which is about 45 mins away in the other direction.would have disconnected it earlier but it was boiling and i was running late! lol! will see you at some point on weds or thurs tho!

GlassOcean

Something could have got stuck in one of the holes lovely?  Try disconnecting it and giving it a tap with a screw driver handle (not sure if this is the proper thing but it always dislodges the crap from mine!!)

Good Luck!

Krysia@No98

Quote from: dangerousbead on April 26, 2009, 07:05:58 PM
...and this stuff can pool if the hoses are lower than the tank, and clog up the torch....
Jane

Oh (please insert user appropriate expletive here)

I guess that means that I am moving things about today to get the hose above the tank...  (and just after I'd got it neatly tucked away under the draws)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-