Help connecting to Irish propane gas tanks

Started by grain goddess, April 26, 2009, 06:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grain goddess

Hi

I'm living in West Cork in the South West of Ireland and wonder if there are any Irish lampworkers who can help me.

I have just returned from the Flame Off and bought equipment to set up a little studio so I can begin to practice lampworking.

Unfortunately all the gear is still sitting there as I have hit a major problem.  The propane regulator that is attached to the minor torch that I bought from Tuffnell glass does not fit the propane tanks here in Ireland! 

I have visited a number of different plumbing and hardware stores with no success.  I spoke with someone from BOC Ireland who suggests a female adaptor but they are currently out of stock so I don't know yet if this will resolve the matter.

Are there any lampworkers operating in Ireland who can advise me how I can connect to Irish propane tanks?

It would be really appreciated as I am totally stuck at the moment and can't get started!

Thanks in advance

Lush!

Don't you have Calor gas?  Are you able to show us a pic of the connector on your tank?

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

grain goddess

yes the tanks are from Calor but apparently the connector that I got from Martin does not fit the Irish tanks.  One member of staff in one of the many hardware stores I visited said that many British campers etc also expereince problems like this.

I dont have a picture of the connection to the tank but basically it has a flat washer on the inside so it doesnt accept the 'bull nose' shape of the connector that I got from Martin - hope that makes some sense.
I didnt buy the tank yet so cannot take a picture of it

Vicki

oh no, what a pain, fancy having a different connector, don't calor gas have anything better to do that confuse people like that  :-\  sorry, I'm no help, but you have my sympathy  :)

Tracy

Sorry to butt in, is it the Minor or the Mega (red) torch?    ???

grain goddess

its a minor torch
I bought it as part of the oxycon kit from Tuffnell glass.

I dunno maybe I need to change the regulator but not sure what or how to do this and wonder if pressure is an issue also as I note the regulator I got with the kit says 0 - 4 bar

Thanks for the sympathy - I was so looking forward to getting started and it is very disappointing - i just hope it is a temporary hiccup

Dragonfire Glass

How diappointing - it was too much to ask that the connectors on the tank are the same!

grain goddess

I have also sent an email to an Irish lampworker that I saw on the net so hopefully she might be able to advise me.

I'll keep you posted and if I find a solution I will post it so that any other newbies in Ireland will hopefully avoid this problem.

Will also speak to Martin so that if he is supplying to any others in Ireland he can advise accordingly.

Margram

That's a pain all right. >:(  Might be worth contacting Calor direct
for advice... :)

Marg x
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog