Propane bottles - I know this is a stupid question, but...

Started by hollyberrie, April 10, 2009, 06:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hollyberrie

how do I know when it is nearing empty?  :-[

My torch won't light but there is gas coming through. I have a largish propane bottle (about 2 feet high) that I took out of the patio heater. We only used it a couple of times before in the heater and I probably haven't used it more than 10 hours for beads. I thought it was supposed to give me about 100 hours torch time and I am nowhere near that. It is still heavy to lift and move. So I wouldn't have thought it was empty but I don't know why it isn't lighting. I moved all my stuff around but it didn't get knocked and I am too much of a newbie to know if there is any way of telling capacity. The sound of the gas coming out doesn't seem 'different' . I have a HH torch. So if anyone can help me please or tell me what I need to check I would be very grateful!!

Thank you :)

Trudi

might be daft  - but have you turned to nozzle on???

Lush!

Try covering the holes around the hot head with your hand while you light it.  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

hollyberrie

might be daft  - but have you turned to nozzle on???

Definitely turned both taps on the bottle and the torch. Gas is coming through, I just wasn't sure if it was running out and that is why the torch wouldn't light. But it should be more than half full....

Try covering the holes around the hot head with your hand while you light it.

Thank you I will give this a try....although it was working fine a few weeks back (I haven't used it since then) and I didn't need to cover anything to light it back then. Just the last couple of times I have used it it was hard to light and then this time it wouldn't.

Lyn G

Can you smell gas?  You will know after a couple of seconds by the smell if the gas is coming through or not.

Les

you'll certainly know if the propane is getting through... it has an additive in it that stinks a bit like rotten eggs... you can't miss it ;)  Pooooooooo.....

hollyberrie

Thanks very much for all your comments. I couldn't really smell anything  ??? but I did try covering the holes around the HH and it worked :) But why it has suddenly started not lighting after the last few months, I have no idea :(

Now lets hope it works when I actually can make beads....

Dizzy Di

I had the same problem years ago >:( and was told if you put lighter undearneath the nozel the flame will catch as propayne is a heavy gas and dropps. 

Dianne ;D